What does acceptable dead pixels mean when purchasing netbook lcd?

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi. I'm looking to buy a replacement lcd for a HP Mini 110-1030CA. I've found an auction but in the auction it says "•This listing is for a brand new laptop lcd screen in accordance with ISO 13406-2 norms. This norm dictates an acceptable 2-5 dead pixel. If you do not agree with this norm‚ please skip this auction/listing." I'm wondering if this means the lcd could have up to five of those little coloured dots on it when i turn it on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Dead pixels won't light up at all. You will have up to 5 pixels that could be dark. Stuck pixels are similar, but won't be black. They will stay either red, blue, or green ALL the time. As long as there is less then 5, they won't do anything about it. If you have 6, then you can send it back.

Pixel issues were a problem back when these screens came out, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with this in a long time.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Dead pixels won't light up at all. You will have up to 5 pixels that could be dark. Stuck pixels are similar, but won't be black. They will stay either red, blue, or green ALL the time. As long as there is less then 5, they won't do anything about it. If you have 6, then you can send it back.

Pixel issues were a problem back when these screens came out, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with this in a long time.

Solution
It means if your LCD panel has up to 5 dead / stuck pixels you cannot get a refund. It is rare for a LCD panel to have dead or stuck pixels, but it can happen.

A 1366x768 resolution monitor has 1,049,088 pixels. Each pixel is made up of 3 sub-pixels which means this type of panel would have 3,147,264 sub-pixels. With that many parts it is hard to guarantee a panel with 0 dead / stuck pixels unless you are will to pay more money for anything that comes with a LCD panel. That's because it would mean the cost of producing LCD panels will go up since these defective LCD panels would have to be destroyed.