What happens if you put a laptop in a freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1920

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
ok so im a super computer geek
to the max.. and people come to me to fix their computers for software problems..
So i got this laptop and left it updating for the night after i restored it from a crash.. black screen of death..
so anyway the morning after i went to check on the laptop and i almost burned my fingers off.. it was super hot. so i was like omg im gotta shut it down
so i did,
i shut it down and i wanted to cool it down quick.
so i grabbed a huge plastic bag and put the laptop and charger in it with the battery removed.
So i double tied the bag so the moisture wont get in. i it in the freezer at -6 degrees for about 3 hours.. (i know i know.)
so then i took it out the mag and regardless the laptop had some frost on it when i ran my fingers across the screen.
i remembered how lcds have like a liquid in it i think.. and this scared the crap outta me because again the computer is not mine if it breaks... so right now im wondering if i should wait till the moisture clears up before i turn on the laptop because its proly all in the internals right now.
What the hell do i do?
-tim
Really need some help here

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
well

let the laptop come to room temp, and make sure all the water is drained out then try to start it. if it starts then your good. now if the display doesn't work, the LCD is gone

not much you can do about it sorry unless you buy a replacement screen

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Never ever ever ever put a laptop in a freezer. Doesn't matter what you wrap it in.

EVER

ok, now onto damage control...

let the laptop sit for 3 days...in ROOM TEMPERATURE. Don't turn it on at any point.

after 3 days have passed, turn it on and let us know what happens.

Be prepared to turn it off quickly if anything seems odd. AKA take out the battery, have it attached to the charger and be ready to pull the plug...

tim1920

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Thank you guys so much for your support. I left it out for 3 hours and turned it on
and all went well
im never putting myself through that crazyness again lol
THank you So very much it ran up just fine thanks so much =)

scoobysnkk

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I would just like to say that I am an avid fan of freezing my laptop.

I do it at least once a week.

It gets really really hot and shuts off so I do what I can, which is freezing it.

What other solutions are there?

fishfear

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
So my situation was something that happens to all of us at one time or another... You are installing software, encrypting your drive, updating your OS, etc... and you get a serious disk error.

You need to run chkdsk /r or spinwrite but you can't get through the process because your drive overheats.

Can you use your freezer?

Maybe, but do it only as needed, on a low humidity day and this is very important... After done don't turn it off for a few days.

Looks crazy having a power cord hanging out of your freezer... 30 minutes in, remove and watch your drive temps and when the get high put it back in.

The freezer is actually pretty dry... It's the condensation that will kill you when you take it out thus you need to let it run for a few days to dry the insides out.

If anyone had something better to add let me know.

PS hard drive monitors that alarm are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.