What if I don't have an optical port on my TV?

mrbobboh

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
So I have a Seiki 40" flat screen TV but it has no optical port! (Must have been manufactured during the Stone Age, right?) How can I get the audio from my simple Sylvania-labeled DVD player to play through my Samsung hw-j550 sound bar? Current configuration:
DishTV receiver HDMI Out to Soundbar HDMI In
Soundbar HDMI Out to TV HDMI1 In
Sylvania DVD HDMI Out to TV HDMI2 In
DishTV receiver Optical Out to Soundbar Optical In (is this connection even doing anything?)
No other HDMI ports are available on the Soundbar. There is an Aux In port on the Soundbar currently not being used. RCA cable connections available on TV, Dish receiver and the DVD player.
So...can the DVD player even be configured to play through the Soundbar? Currently we play the TV through the Soundbar but the DVD player only plays through the TV speakers.

Solution
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_4?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1451531908&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi++audio+extractor

something like that. hdmi audio extractor. hdmi in from dvd, hdmi out to tv. rca r+w to 3.5mm adapter cable to aux input on soundbar.

likewise, its also possible to get a box like above but with optical output (if your dvd has no optical output available.. if you do, you dont need a box) and use an optical switch box to select source (dvd or cable). a spdif splitter would also work if only one device is on at a time (cable or dvd).

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_4?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1451531908&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi++audio+extractor

something like that. hdmi audio extractor. hdmi in from dvd, hdmi out to tv. rca r+w to 3.5mm adapter cable to aux input on soundbar.

likewise, its also possible to get a box like above but with optical output (if your dvd has no optical output available.. if you do, you dont need a box) and use an optical switch box to select source (dvd or cable). a spdif splitter would also work if only one device is on at a time (cable or dvd).

Solution