What is better the Oculous Rift or HTC VIVE

Solution
I will have the Vive in a couple weeks. I can most certainly see Sakkura's POV.

One thing I like about the Vive and Rift is that games aren't necessarily bound to either headset. There are some titles that just won't cross the aisle due to controller incompatibilities or other things I am unaware of.

Things like ASW and Asynchronous Reprojection certainly make the headset more pocketbook friendly. Even those with a 1050 Ti and an appropriate CPU have been given a green light for the Rift.

Sakkura

Distinguished

The Rift is fully roomscale-capable and the Vive cannot really be considered "the best" overall. Maybe if they had the knuckles controllers and Valve got their act together and implemented ASW.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I prefer the Vive's controllers myself. I also like that the Vive has blue-tooth and lets me answer phone calls with the headset.
@OP, out of the box. the Vive wins in room scale; however, some will argue you can add a 3rd sensor to the Rift and still be cheaper than the Vive. You really need to feel both controllers and pick which one you like more.

Brandon138

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

I'd say needing one less sensor is better. That and the Vive sensors give a larger play area. The Vive infrared Lighthouse technology is just 5 steps ahead of Rift which just uses cameras.
The controller really make no difference. Both are fine and you're gonna get used to whichever you use.
The Vive also has a wider FoV which IMO is a major thing to think about.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
If you can support the larger play area and don’t mind dragging a cable attached to your head around and don’t need the extra $200 for anything then Vive would be great.

If identical tech specs but slightly lighter, a slightly smaller play area, and $200 savings is cool then get a Rift. Love mine and you get plenty of space to move with the two included sensors.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Slightly smaller play area? People on Onward are constantly complaining about their Rifts in a small play area. Especially when they try to go prone; meanwhile, I can enjoy a 10' by 10' with my Vive and go prone all day long. Even nearing the corner of my play area I can still go prone.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Having one less sensor is a pretty small advantage.

The tracking fidelity of Oculus' cameras is just as good as Vive's lasers, and with 3 sensors you even have better occlusion resistance near the body.

The controller is your main input method, and a more advanced and ergonomic controller does make a difference.

The Vive has a wider FOV, but that also means it has a lower angular resolution. It's a tradeoff.

On the other hand, the Rift has more advanced software, including the ASW feature that lets it run on much weaker hardware. It has a superior headstrap with integrated audio; there is a Rift-style upgrade for the Vive, but it's yet another $100.

Sakkura

Distinguished

You play with people who have not set it up right, then.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Ya. Even with two sensors I’ve never run into a serious occlusion problem. Truth in advertising, I did try Onward but never actually went prone - kneeling was obviously not a problem.

Like I said, if you have a really big area Vive would be great. But one can always get a 3rd Rift sensor and still be $150 cheaper.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
I will have the Vive in a couple weeks. I can most certainly see Sakkura's POV.

One thing I like about the Vive and Rift is that games aren't necessarily bound to either headset. There are some titles that just won't cross the aisle due to controller incompatibilities or other things I am unaware of.

Things like ASW and Asynchronous Reprojection certainly make the headset more pocketbook friendly. Even those with a 1050 Ti and an appropriate CPU have been given a green light for the Rift.

Solution