What is KMSAutoS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I bought a PC today (it came with Windows 10 Home). When I scanned it with Windows Defender I noticed that there is an exclusion for KMSAutoS. It's located in C:\ProgramData\KMSAutoS. Is it harmful? Where is it from?
Thank you!

Solution
Here is a link to an article describing how to extract your product key using the software "ProduKey". I don't know if Microsoft has a record of who they originally sold Product Keys to, but if you contact them, they would probably be interested in the Product Key on your computer:

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-find-windows-10-product-key-3632749/

I can't vouch for the software, I just learned about it from the linked article. Perhaps there are other ways to extract the product key.

USAFRet

Illustrious

It is a tool used to illegally activate a Windows OS install.
From where did you obtain this PC and its OS?

Colif

Distinguished
I found this but would hope you have a legit licence on a new PC

KMS activator is just a Windows activator which fools Windows OS and install a program in your system and create a service which just Reset your Windows OS Activation after every 30 or 180 days. But what you’ll see is that your Windows is activated.

https://www.quora.com/Is-KMS-Activator-a-virus-program-malware

might help to run another AV apart from defender, see what Bitdefender Free finds

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

I bought it from an Estonian site/company. manguarvutid.ee/dreamline.ee
Should I remove it? If I would remove it, what will happen to my windows?
Thanks

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

I bought it from an Estonian site/company. manguarvutid.ee/dreamline.ee It came with Windows installed.
Should I remove it? If I would remove it, what will happen to my windows?
Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well, it will become unactivated.
If you thought you paid them for a system with a valid, licensed OS...they ripped you off. They charged you money for something that cost them $0.
I'm sure Microsoft would be very interested in knowing that this company is doing this.

Call them up, give them the info....Microsoft will probably even give you a valid license for free.

Additionally, if this company does that...what else exists in your system? Keylogger, other virus, etc, etc.

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

I'll contact them and ask about it, maybe I can get a legit Windows copy from them.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Don't bother contacting that company. They know exactly what they are doing.
They'll just blow you off with some technobabble.

If they gave you one illegal Windows OS already, why would you trust them to give you something actually valid?

Contact Microsoft.

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

Can't they send me an activation code? If they won't I'll contact windows.

USAFRet

Illustrious

They who...the store where you bought it from?
Sure...they'll send you a bogus code that may work for a few weeks, and then unactivate itself.

Contact the actual authority, Microsoft. They really do want to know about companies like this. They are ripping off not only their customers (you!), but also Microsoft.

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

Ok, I'll contact Microsoft. But before I'll contact the company just to see, what do they have to say.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And if it were legit, there is no reason for that KMS to exist on there.
Ergo....

Rasmus6

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

No it did't come with MS Office

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Here is a link to an article describing how to extract your product key using the software "ProduKey". I don't know if Microsoft has a record of who they originally sold Product Keys to, but if you contact them, they would probably be interested in the Product Key on your computer:

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-find-windows-10-product-key-3632749/

I can't vouch for the software, I just learned about it from the linked article. Perhaps there are other ways to extract the product key.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

ProduKey or Belarc Advisor will retrieve a Windows (or Office) license key.
If one exists.

He does not have one. The 'store' sold him a system with a pirated OS...no valid license key.

Status
Not open for further replies.