Solved! What is problem with this Asus X540S ?

ferguson1951

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Hello everybody.
I am writing from Italy.
I am an amateur: I get faulty laptops from my friend's shop and try to repair them just for the fun of it.
Or at least understand where the fault lies.
I now have this Asus with a problem I never had before.
I switch it on, I get the Asus logo on display but after that, automatically, without me touching anything, I get the Bios and no Operating System at all.
Let's have a guess!
Await your news
Thanks a lot and best regards

Solution

Try this, boot the laptop up...

ferguson1951

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

Thank you very much. I am keen on this computer because if I manage to change the boot order the laptop might work fine.
However, I have checked and found that the Bios Boot tag is different from what I was used to find.
I get this:

Boot Configuration (cannot be selected)

Launch CSM (can be selected)
Fast boot (can be selected)

Boot option priorities (cannot be selected)
Delete Boot Option (can be selected)

As you can see, I dont get the usual list of computer components so I am in a fix.
I am hoping on your help.
Thanks and regards

NerdyComputerGuy

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Try this, boot the laptop up and repeatedly please ESC

You should then see the boot priority list, select the hard drive.

Also, do you have access to another computer (one that is working) and a USB stick, as you can create a bootable repair installation on the USB and boot into that on the faulty laptop, check this guide.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Create+a+USB+boot+drive+for+Windows+10/89181

Solution

ferguson1951

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Thank you.
Tonight I take a rest (I live alone and have plenty to do) but I shall definitely try what you say and let you know in due course.
I have a USB stick (bootable) with Win 10 in it: will that be OK?

NerdyComputerGuy

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Should be fine, ideally you'll want a drive reader via USB so that you can plug the hard drive into a different computer and see the contents.

Just see how you go with what I have said and if there's no luck I will try my best to help you further

:bounce:

ferguson1951

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
I had some success. Your hint was not working so I did some Internet research and proceeded like this: Boot Bios > in Boot tab disable Fast Boot Option > Press F10 to save and exit > Immediately press Esc.
This allowed me to boot from Hard Disk.
However, the problem I have now is that after a few seconds the laptop switches off by itself
-------------------------------------------
I solved this problem too. The charger jack was not making good contact because I manufactured the connection myself with what I could find online and the jack was not perfect for the plug. But I made some adjustments and now it works fine. Thank you for your help.