What is the best anti-virus/malware/spyware software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xthekidx

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I'm getting a new pc. My old one was plagued by viruses despite my constant attempts to rid them from my system and my antivirus software. So I'm looking to get the best software out there that is available so I don't have to deal with this stupid problem again.

I will have Vista home premium 64 bit. I will be using to computer for online gaming, p2p, internet use ect. My Internet service provider supplies a free Mcafee version (they claim it is $120 value) but I'm not sure exactly all that it offers.

So what is the best anti-virus and anti-spyware software available? I'm not too concerned about the price, as far as I'm concerned almost any price will be worth not having to deal with constant trojans and viruses plaguing my rig. Should I go with what Comcast is offering for free or is there better stuff out there?

Thanks

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I use only freeware apps to protect my pc.

Over the years I reckon I have nearly tried them all.

The one thing I gladly have paid for is backup software, it has proven to be invaluable. No matter what software I throw at my pc, harmful and otherwise I have successfully been able to restore my pc back to perfect working condition with it. The try and decide feature is awesome also.

The backup software I use is Acronis True Image.

Antivirus.
I protect all my pc's with Avast Antivirus. This is defenitely a user choice and others will swear theirs is better. I'm not going to say Avast is better than the others, it just became my AV of choice.

I like the boot-time scan Avast offers. Resident protection is excellent, although some find the detection warning screen that pops up can be intrusive and can cause undue worry. I set my screen saver so that Avast scans whenever the pc isn't being used and the user interface is my favourite. I also like the fact that it updates silently and you only notice that the updates have taken place when a little box pops up on the bottom right of the screen letting you know.

I have tried AVG and Avira also. I couldn't really take to AVG, even though it is the most popular free AV program. I found the update function intrusive, placing a box in the middle of the screen until the update has completed. This probably can be switched off, but I didn't use the program long enough to find out. Avira has the best detection rate, but I found the hueristic scanning a little too sensitive giving quite a few false positives. Also it constantly reminds you it's there, there's a little nag screen that pops up which I found quite annoying.

Firewall.
I use ZoneAlarm free for my firewall. I run the odd leaktest online to see if it is still up to scratch and the reports always come back that all the ports are stealthed, so this is the best outcome I could ask for in a firewall. ZoneAlarm has lost a bit of popularity to Comodo. I ran Comodo for a week or so but reverted back to ZoneAlarm. Comodo is more configurable and has a few more extras, but I found ZoneAlarm to do everything I need in a firewall.

Spyware / Antimalware applications.
I used to be a big fan of Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy, and they served me well.

These days I use only Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware free. They are very powerful at malware detection and removal. These are on call scanners which means they don't run resident. SuperAntiSpyware does load at startup to protect your home page but I switch this off.

Windows Monitoring Utility.
I use WinPatrol to monitor my system. There are so many options and it does so much so I will only touch on a couple of features. WinPatrol monitors your system and alerts you if there are changes being made. The sacrifice is that when you legitimately want to install something you will be alerted and have to let WinPatrol allow it. You can control your startup programs efficiently also.
Basically it allows you to take significant control against malicious programs.

That's the run down of what I use to protect my pc's. I'm by no means touting them as the best free programs out there. They are just what I have ended up with. It still very much comes down to personal choice.

xthekidx

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the info guys.

I am particularly interested in protections against trojans and trojan downloaders. Anyone know software that is particularly good at defending against them?

merecookie

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
My COmbo is Malwarebytes, MSE, and SmadAV. MAlwarebytes for rootkits and PUPs also for safe browsing. MSE for archives scanning and auto-running viruses. MSE works effectively when my SmadAV scans cause together they work and do not conflict. I already cleaned a lot of pc using this combo because SmadAV kills virus process and deletes other viruses like .ink .vbs and lot more, and it scans fast (helpful when I'm in a hurry). I have also solved issues like viruses in removable drives when inserted in the infected pc even the drive is clean. I just shared it to you guys . Thank you :) Godbless and Let's work for it!

Paul NZ

Admirable
Dont go to dodgy sites download dodgy files. Then you wont need one. And keep your software up to date

And when you install some free programs, make sure you either do a custom install or click on advanced. Because some free programs will install crap / adware / malware on your system

And avoid sites like cnet, download.com or filehippo.

Farapon

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Man, you can't get viruses if you don't click like stupid pop ups and download 'arrrr' stuff. I recomendo you Microsoft essential and malwebytes that's pretty much all. If you get windows 8.1 you would have Microsoft essentials preinstalled

Rocking Durgesh

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
All in one tool to protect your pc:
Quick Heal Total Security:
http://www.quickheal.co.in/home-users/quick-heal-total-security
Blocks the ads and unwanted things from Internet, Best parental control, advanced DNA scanning, firewall protection, all types of threat detection, malware and spayware detection, inbuilt pc tuner, HDD error checking, hard drive doctor for hard drive diagnosing and so many makes it best .....

The best tool to protect your pc,
get it, you will feel the difference !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.