What is the best Anti-Virus Solution?

UsaraDark

Estimable
Apr 10, 2014
I've heard of combos of using Avast for the firewall, Malwarebytes for their powerful scanner, or maybe some other combo.

So what is considered the best virus-slaying solution? Or will all antivirus programs just interfere with each other?

G

Id suggest Avast free, or Avast Internet security if you're willing to pay. Also MalwareBytes Anti-Malware works quite nice too!

guisasso

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I have been using avast free on all my computers for at least 6-7 years along with spybot search and destroy and can definitely say I never got a virus.

Sometimes it's more about what the user does than the solution too.

G

True that. I don't use a AV simply because its all up to your decisions. Download files from trusted websites. Still if you want to scan a individual file, just use virustotal.com. Its a good solution to scan single files online. But you might wanna use a firewall because Windows firewall is just totally ineffective.

thenh813

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

I would say Avast is the best solution for AV, however if you are really panicky about it you should use Avira. That is if you don't mind a load of false positives for programs that have unusual runtime compression (like both MPress and UPX at once) and system modifying code. For a firewall I would use a hardware firewall (on router, allow incoming only from what you need), and the firewall that comes with Avast full version if you want more protection. If definitely is a good idea to install MalwareBytes Antimalware as a complementary program to your existing AV, just disable the real time scanner when installing to prevent conflicts, and have it scan scheduled. Same with SpyBot if you are really worried about spyware, install it too disabling the real time feature (labeled TeaTimer if I remember) and set it up to scan on a schedule. It will remove browser hijackers and similar programs that track you or give ads, it will also remove suspicious registry keys that may relate to trojans, keyloggers and once again spyware/adware and the like.

This is, of course, my opinion. Others may think differently, and may very well be right as well.
It all very much depends on the situation you are in, business vs home use, etc.

ZskNinoh

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014

I disagree. Malwarebytes is not to be used solely as an anti-malware software as it does not protect your PC in real-time. You should use it in conjunction with one or more of these.

If you are concerned about RATs, key loggers, etc. You should invest in Zenmana (has a free version). The paid version protects your PC in real time, and encrypts your keystrokes, passwords, and screen. I use Remote Administration Tools on my laptops incase they get stolen so i can lock them down, then find them. With Zenmana as soon as I interact with my laptop Zenmana quarantines my RAT. My RAT is set to BSOD on the termination of it's process, however Zenmana also bypasses this feature.

You should get Avira (free) for real time general virus protection. It monitors your PC in real time, and alerts you if it finds active Malware.

If you have ad-ware you should use, Spy bot - Search and Destroy(free). It should remove all ad-ware from your PC.

http://www.zemana.com/

http://www.avira.com/en/index

http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/