What is the better ultrabook: Asus Zenbook UX310UA or HP Envy 13-ab002nf

PurpleSlug

Estimable
May 21, 2015
Hey there,

coming to you asking for an advice. And maybe this thread could be of help for anyone else asking the same question.

Currently I'm in need for an ultrabook for:

- Typing.
- Surfing.
- Programming (light, mainly 2D games for fun/learning and sketches for arduinos and Pis).
- Webdesign (again, mainly learning).
- Mobility.

So far, i found these two options:

HP Envy 13-ab002nf
https://www.amazon.com/HP-13-ab016nr-Notebook-i5-7200U-Windows/dp/B01LZKY7RB

Asus Zenbook UX310UA
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234451&cm_re=Asus_Zenbook_13.3%22-_-34-234-451-_-Product

Basically they both sport an I5, 8gb ram, 256 SSD and 500 gb HDD. Spec-wise they seem pretty similar, (price-wise too, at least in my country).

I did "play" with them in a computer shop, and found HP Envy quite nicer than the Asus one (especially the screen).

However, HP bears a terrible reputation: overheating laptops, and generally not lasting too much. Dunno if those are urban legends, though.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Man, this is going to be tough...

The Envy takes the lead with 2 extra hours of battery life (14) and a USB Type-C port. It also offers a dual-core Kaby Lake i5 which means Intel's HD 620 IGP. The Zenbook is lighter at 2.87lbs vs 3.31lbs for the Envy, and on paper the Zenbook ought to provide better viewing; neither machine has an actual IPS panel, but ASUS claims 170-degree viewing with its FHD panel. The Zenbook offers a dual-core Skylake i5 and that means Intel's HD 520.

At this point, the HP Envy seems a done deal, especially because you've seen the laptops and you preferred the HP screen. That leaves brand reputation: I have yet to come across a brand that is 'consistently and universally bad' - all brands will foist lemons and...
Man, this is going to be tough...

The Envy takes the lead with 2 extra hours of battery life (14) and a USB Type-C port. It also offers a dual-core Kaby Lake i5 which means Intel's HD 620 IGP. The Zenbook is lighter at 2.87lbs vs 3.31lbs for the Envy, and on paper the Zenbook ought to provide better viewing; neither machine has an actual IPS panel, but ASUS claims 170-degree viewing with its FHD panel. The Zenbook offers a dual-core Skylake i5 and that means Intel's HD 520.

At this point, the HP Envy seems a done deal, especially because you've seen the laptops and you preferred the HP screen. That leaves brand reputation: I have yet to come across a brand that is 'consistently and universally bad' - all brands will foist lemons and duds onto consumers from time to time, and I have personally never had any problems with HP.

The Zenbook is still in my opinion the best-looking 13-incher currently available, even though this Envy model isn't too far behind. But that's just me...

Going by your stated needs, I have to vote in favour of the HP Envy: You'll get a few more hours of up-time, a slightly more powerful CPU (and going from HD 520 to HD 620 will be noticeable). The Envy may be slightly heavier, but it's also $20 less than the Zenbook, and you liked the FHD panel in the Envy.

Best of luck (whatever you decide),
GreyCatz.

Solution