What is the meaning of the DU suffix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manuntd7

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I came accross a good price for a laptop that I found that has the i5-6198DU processor. I know about the U suffix which means that the processor is Ultra low power, but It's the first time that I hear about the DU version and there seems to be little to no information on this model.

Solution
What do the suffixes mean?

C - Desktop Processor based on the LGA 1150 package with high performance graphics

D - Meaning is unknown as of Dec 2016

E - Embedded (the processor can be utilized in embedded systems)

H - High performance graphics

K - Unlocked

M - Mobile

P - Processor without integrated graphics controller

Note: Back in the Core 2 days, a P-series chipset didn’t include an integrated GPU. Now, P-series chips just include slower integrated GPUs.

Q - Quad-core

R - Desktop processor based on BGA1364 (mobile) package with high performance graphics

S - Performance-optimized lifestyle

T - Power-optimized lifestyle

U - Ultra-low power

X - Extreme...

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
no telling ?? funny how you find this at intel

http://ark.intel.com/products/93432/Intel-Core-i5-6198DU-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

BUT then over on the right you select that Intel® Core™ i5-6100 Mobile Processor Series link and get this page [page not found ]

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/93429/Intel-Core-i5-6100-Mobile-Processor-Series#@Mobile

maybe why you found a ''good deal''' on a laptop with one of them in it ???

I gusee use the first product link I gave on that i5-6198DU and use the speciations links on its left and review what intel offers on it

may be a series they had to discontinue for some reason cause there not even any listed here

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88393/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@Mobile

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
maybe nothing wrong with it but seems its a discontinued part and no longer listed as available from intel .. they dropped it and moved on to bigger and better things ..

being its also a BGA and hard soldered in the boards sockets if it fails your getting a whole new lap top anyway .

all you can do is buy it and try it - it will do as expected or it don't . that goes for anything anyway

like said its a good deal cause its not current anymore [selling at near close out prices? ] that don't mean its performance is not on par [ opinion]

in the end its your call on if its worth the risk

No indication what "DU" means.

However, the i5-6198DU has exactly the specs as the i5-6200U except in one respect. The i5-6198DU has an Intel HD 510 graphics core rather than an Intel HD 520 graphic core. All CPUs and GPUs are mass produced and they have hundreds of millions of transistors and other parts within them. No CPU or GPU are manufactured 100% perfect, meaning every single transistor is functioning properly. That is simply impossible with current technologies. That is why CPUs and GPUs have built in redundancies and why some CPUs and GPUs can be clocked higher than others and are binned differently.

The graphics core probably had more defective transistors than normal so that the Intel HD core will not perform as well as the typical Intel HD 520 graphics core. Therefore, the defective transistor are deactivated so that the graphics cores operates like an Intel HD 510 instead. This allows Intel to "defective" CPUs at a lower price point rather than simply throwing them away and take a total loss on the CPU.

In this context, the "D" could mean DEFECTIVE.

The same applies to desktop CPUs. If all desktop quad core Skylake CPUs with no Hyper Threading capablities rolling off the production line were "perfect", they would all be i5-6600k. But that is not the case, if the CPU rolling off the production had "too many" defective transistors, then instead of being binned as an i5-6600k, it would be binned as an i5-6400 CPU... as long as it meets the minimum requirements.

manuntd7

Honorable
May 22, 2012

This is an interesting approach and quite frankly it makes sense. Intel would probably not want to market a defective product fear of not selling any, hence why we don't have much info on this product. Maybe it's not true but who knows, this reasoning makes sense though.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Not a chance. Intel picks these names, they have absolutely no interest in calling ANY of their products defective, subtle or not.

It doesn't make sense. The majority of their products are cut down that way, Intel has no reason to call them defective.

manuntd7

Honorable
May 22, 2012

I said he might be wrong, I can't really judge until we know for sure. But what he said absolutely makes sense, why wouldn't Intel give an explanation to this?

Assuming certain transistors are defective and they turn those transistors off and sell the processors that way with a model number that is 2 digit different from a higher one (i5-6198DU and i5-6200U), they could still make money instead of losing money. It is a very smart strategy.

manuntd7

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I personally agree with you SR-71 Blackbird. If Intel was a small company, they would probably do such a thing to save and earn some extra money. But since they are worth billions, I don't think they would do such a thing since they already have a huge market share.

But then again, if they're doing it, that means they must have a massive amount of defective units that's causing them a loss.

DSzymborski

Distinguished
It's not exactly something new - product binning has been around forever. It would be weird to advertise to the public this case in so blunt a fashion. Like when the grocery store sells mis-shapen cakes or fruit as "irregular" they don't put up a big sign that says "Defective Food."

What do the suffixes mean?

C - Desktop Processor based on the LGA 1150 package with high performance graphics

D - Meaning is unknown as of Dec 2016

E - Embedded (the processor can be utilized in embedded systems)

H - High performance graphics

K - Unlocked

M - Mobile

P - Processor without integrated graphics controller

Note: Back in the Core 2 days, a P-series chipset didn’t include an integrated GPU. Now, P-series chips just include slower integrated GPUs.

Q - Quad-core

R - Desktop processor based on BGA1364 (mobile) package with high performance graphics

S - Performance-optimized lifestyle

T - Power-optimized lifestyle

U - Ultra-low power

X - Extreme edition

Y - Extremely low power

Found this earlier can't remember the source.

Solution

Sakkura

Distinguished

It's just that so many of Intel's other chips are also cut down this way. They're just as defective as the 6198DU, but don't get a D.

Status
Not open for further replies.