What is the Oculus Rift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
For some reason, until I read this article, it didn't really sink in for me that you could just BUY an Oculus Rift. And now, the only thing holding me back is the fact that a newer version could be released tomorrow.

From all the material I'm reading, I'm not sure where the author is getting "a new developer version...will be released a month or two before the consumer version". If I had some assurance that the new version was, say, at least two months out, I'd order the current one today, but it seems like it could be released at any time...

neilquan

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Unless youre a developer why would you bother until a consumer version is readily available and compatible for more games? Of course the limits of the tech could just die like 3D for tv's. Then youd be stuck with a 300 dollar paper weight. That isnt to say that the tech wont refine and become better at a later date, but it could very well be some other company that picks up the baton after these guys fold. It isnt always that the person who comes up with the idea or prototype is the same company that brings it to the masses.

Gasek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I know these are 2 different (Sony Personal 3D Viewer and Oculus Rift) animals but I would like to see a comparison between these 2 by someone who has used both.

I have the Sony Personal Viewer and despite all of its shortcomings (not comfortable, no head tracking, first version has so so audio) think it is absolutely fantastic, specially if you travel a lot or live in a small apartment by yourself. It seems to me that the Oculus Rift will not be like a regular monitor either, where you can just plug in a Blu-ray DVD and watch movies?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
@hog

If it has too high a res you will isolate most of the gaming market. Only a Very small % of gamers have budgets allowing use of 1 or more high end GFx cards that would be required to run multiple 1080 screens at respectable refresh rates.

Maybe in the future once more high res Small screens become available that also satisfy other gamer related requirements Oculus will offer a range of models.

As it is sourcing screens that were suitable and of the given current consumer res was not such an easy task.

hog

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
@Pailin
I understand what you mean but, those old machine gamers could just lower the resolution and I don't think that someone who pay 300-400usd for a VR Google's is budget on his machine. What I mean is that would be a good choice to make this stuff future proof giving it FullHD res witch is becoming norm as day pass by. Another great option is launch 2 versions an HD and a Full HD one. I will go for 1080p all the times

Alcatraz Z

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
@hog you really don't need high res that much. Actually "quality" can be lowered compared to what we have now. Once it convinces your brain it's a reality (which it does) you quite stop noticing "quality" of image and you start noticing objects as a whole.

In real world your brain doesn't evaluate every detail again and again and again. Once you recognize someone you actually get very little info from your eyes. And until something unexpected happens you keep noticing him as one object doing "normal" things.

Low res textures and even low res polygons are quite a less concern with VR. High and stable FPS, perfect motion response and no overall screen defects are much more important. Consumers version of displays will be ok. And with that FOV it has you actually get much larger screen then is display resolution.

D

Deleted member 1353997

One of the weirdest experience you'll have with the Occulus Rift: When you move your hands to - for instance - adjust the Rift, it'll feel really weird not to see your own hands in front of your eyes.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is something that has taken and is taking too long to release. What is the point of announcing this vaporware a couple years ago when it was no where from being complete. For all I know it is that idiot Carmack that is destroying this device just like he did with ID software...

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
There is no way this thing will sell for $300. To put that in perspective, that's half the price of a new smartphone. The hardware is too complex and the sales volume will be too low.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
There is no way this thing will sell for $300. To put that in perspective, that's half the price of a new smartphone. The hardware is too complex and the sales volume will be too low.
You can go buy the DK1 right now for $300

skasucks478

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@hogIf it has too high a res you will isolate most of the gaming market. Only a Very small % of gamers have budgets allowing use of 1 or more high end GFx cards that would be required to run multiple 1080 screens at respectable refresh rates.Maybe in the future once more high res Small screens become available that also satisfy other gamer related requirements Oculus will offer a range of models.As it is sourcing screens that were suitable and of the given current consumer res was not such an easy task.
If I remember correctly, the signal is split. So you're not running two sources to headset (ie: dual monitor); you are running the same images offset for each eye.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
For some reason, until I read this article, it didn't really sink in for me that you could just BUY an Oculus Rift. And now, the only thing holding me back is the fact that a newer version could be released tomorrow.From all the material I'm reading, I'm not sure where the author is getting "a new developer version...will be released a month or two before the consumer version". If I had some assurance that the new version was, say, at least two months out, I'd order the current one today, but it seems like it could be released at any time...
I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the original Rift dev kit, but I sure did preorder the new one as soon as I heard about it. July feels awfully far away... :/

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
How many more times are they gonna make these articles. Seriously, they make 1 every 2 months and it's getting annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.