what is the proper way to remove this heatsink?

USAFRet

Splendid

Since there does not appear to be any clips holding it on, I'd suspect it is on there with thermal adhesive, rather than thermal paste.
Meaning it is literally glued on.

Maybe soaking in some isopropyl alcohol, or nail polish remover.

But...at the top right and bottom left, what are those two small bright spots? Possibly pins through the heatsink, soldered to the other other side of the board, howling it on?

kevinduboisj

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

Thanks for the reply,

i attach more photos.
https://ibb.co/fxnUw5
https://ibb.co/fiu9w5

i think you are right with -- Possibly pins through the heatsink, soldered to the other other side of the board--
what is the right way to procede to remove ?

USAFRet

Splendid
In your second pic, do those two large things on the backside line up exactly with the bright spots on the top of fins?

If so, desoldering may be a bit difficult. Those a pretty large, with a large(ish) thermal mass to liquify.
Applying enough heat may screw up something else close by.

Why are we taking this fin array off?

kevinduboisj

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

Hi, thanks for reply. Im trying to take this off for 2 reasons.

1. To understand the way this heatsink was solder to the board, cause i have tried to apply heat but it doesnt smelt so i dont understant what kind of material it is.

2. To learn the proper way to remove it without screwing up something else so i can try to heat up or replace the chip below it to try to get my hdmi work again.

USAFRet

Splendid

As mentioned, that heatsink may be on there with Thermal Adhesive.
Actual glue. In which case, it won't come off.

What board is this from? Some things are not really user fixable.

kevinduboisj

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

This is a philip 50 inch tv logic board. What would be the right aproach to try to remove those two pins that are in my view the ones that are attaching the heat sink to the board? Are those pins a mix of steel-iron with solder?

USAFRet

Splendid

Completely unknown of how or if it is soldered or glued on.
What about a replacement board?

Even if you get that heatsink off, the actual chip is probably surface mounted to the board. And THAT is even less user replaceable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
Z Streaming Video & TVs 3
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 5
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 3
0 Streaming Video & TVs 1