What is this piece and where can I get it

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello guys I have a Toshiba Satellite A660-0V3 laptop. The laptop works perfectly fine but someone tried to change the keyboard on the laptop and broke the little plastic piece that holds the keyboard ribbon in place.
Does anyone know what the name of this piece is or where I can find it?
I don't even know what to search for on Google because I don't even know what it is called.
I went to some stores and everyone is telling me that I cannot buy this piece I need to buy the entire motherboard.
I know the motherboard works fine and I don't want to spend a lot of money when I know this plastic piece is probably 50 cents.

20150612_134410.jpg
[/url][/img]
20150612_134414.jpg

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Is it the little plastic friction/hold-down bar, or the connector itself?

I agree with Eximo, but I would tape it down so it stays in place, in case you ever need to change the keyboard. If tape doesn't work, then superglue.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
If the connector itself doesn't work, those people were giving you good advice.

Unless you are familiar with soldering (surface mount soldering) then this isn't something you can repair easily.

I can probably find you the part, but I don't know how much that will help you.

Check back in about twenty minutes.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Looking at the pic again, yeah, not much room for a good taping job.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Have a coffee stir straw you can trim to length, then use a plastic spudger to wedge that in over the ribbon?

What Eximo is talking about is desoldering the connector on the board and soldering in a new, intact connector.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I would have to buy all 3 because I cant really tell. To me it looks like the entire piece is there including the plastic connector.
I can't really tell which connector is the right one.
I tried a few different connectors from broken laptops I had and sadly they come in all different shapes and sizes :\

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Sadly I don't actually have the piece anymore and the little mechanism on the laptop has no piece at all.
I find it odd that these pieces have no part numbers or no identification.
What happens if during assembly it is defective? How do they know what to replace?

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
If it was found defective at the factory it would be desoldered and replaced, possibly by hand. They usually source these parts by the thousands so they would just get one from bin/reel TH-X1138 or whatever it was ID'd as.