What is your Fav. Laptop........Enter here and say

Clevo/Sager-quite possibly some of the best performing laptops out there. Price ain't bad either.

I think I would toss Dell in there as 3rd. I like the looks of many of their units and have never had a problem with their support.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002

#2? Number 2 ?!?!?!?!

You're just trying to kill me is all.

OP:

From a support perspective, IBM Thinkpads have been the most reliable and relatively easy to work on (hate changeing LCD covers though. . ugh!). Right now, in my mind, king of the hill belongs to the Thinkpad W series, namely the W700. The Thinkpad x300 / x301 is also very nice. The IdeaPad U110 is interesting. And the Y730 is almost a poor man's W700. After Lenovo, I'm quite impresed with the HP EliteBook series.

For pure gaming performance Clevo / Sager has a high reputation. I've never owned one.

MSI and OCZ have interesting alternatives to Clevo. . . I prefer MSI at the moment due to price, but I'm still not convinced of the build quality.

Then there's Apple, but the price by no means justifies the performance.

I'd never voluntarily own any of the following: Dell, Compaq, Sony, Toshiba, Acer.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Well, it is true, dwellman, at least for me.

If I didn't like to play video games, I would have been an IBM customer for life. You're right. They are the most reliable machines I know of. Ever.

But they just don't carry enthusiast graphics cards..:(

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I would go with Lenovo. They make such hardcore engineered notebooks. So much thought and engineering going into their product. Although they dont offer highend graphics, its more than enough more my needs and 90% of notebook users.

That is very true. I know the IBM based systems were rock solid. Not sure about the purely Lenovo's. They also really know their target sector. They know that the vast majority of the people looking at their systems don't need anything more than a midrange card. Why waste time developing and advertising a product that only a few people would consider?

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Yeah, the Quadro 3700 with 1 GB dedicated memory notwithstanding (drool drool drool), the best card Lenovo offers on any system is the AMD HD 3650.

cia24

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

+1

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
#1 sager/clevo always like their looks and performance pricing now is awesome!
#2 lenovo like their looks and they are tanks indeed
#3 whatever is the next cheapest thing and in my budget cept toshiba i despise them.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Apple MacBook.

1 - MUCH higher resale than any other brand. Check out Ebay - 3-4 year old macbooks sell for $450-700.

2 - Local Apple stores will do warranty repair for the 1st year, no hassles, and AppleCare is an excellent no hassle insurance system for longer warranties.

3 - You can run Windows XP/ 7 *and* Mac OS X on them. If you have no use for OS X, just run Win 7.

4 - Quality is high and consistent; you know what you're getting.

5 - If there are any problems, they are popular enough that you'll know what the problems are and what the remedies are - and Apple is usually held to task to fix those problems (as opposed to obscure models of other brands where you have a relatively small group of other owners).

6 - For what you get spec wise, they aren't really much more expensive than other brands - ie, right now the low end Macbooks have Nvidia M320 GPUs.

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

too much money for my blood ^. and i gotta add some gaming laptops about 2 year old still have a value of 500-800. And League of legends doesnt have support for macs :(. but all in all apple is good customer service.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Until IBM sold its controlling interest in Lenovo, IBM Thinkpads were the best in my opinion.

The $10,000 Toshiba DEC Alpha powered laptop was a beastie in its day and way beyond anything comparable. Then they made the Tecra 8100 and screwed their rep with me for life. We sent 400 of those to a repair depot in one year. Some of them twice.

Personally, the Dell D series laptops are my favorites as they are pretty unkillable and almost as easy to work on as the Thinkpads. The part availability is more widespread and the price is better. Very good layout for disassembly and reassembly (unlike HP and Compaq and Apple). I've had about every D model made and they seem to hold up better than the E series.