What Laptop Should I Get For Developing Games On The Go

dakotariley1997

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Hello. I am an aspiring game developer who has a busy schedule and don't have the time to sit in a chair at a large monitor and powerful desktop. I am wondering if I should get the MacBook Pro retina or some sort of workstation or gaming laptop that runs windows. For know, i want to develop PC, Mac, and Linux games with games for iOS and Android and consoles in the future. Please help me. Thanks.

Solution
Unless you are developing apps only for Mac, I'd recommend you to go for a Windows laptop.
Guess you will be using OpenGL for coding, and its cross platform.
DirectX is only for Windows.
And windows has the highest user base.
Hence it makes only sense in going for Windows based laptop.

You'll find numerous tools for everything.

baburajiv2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Unless you are developing apps only for Mac, I'd recommend you to go for a Windows laptop.
Guess you will be using OpenGL for coding, and its cross platform.
DirectX is only for Windows.
And windows has the highest user base.
Hence it makes only sense in going for Windows based laptop.

You'll find numerous tools for everything.

Solution

dakotariley1997

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014

Thanks, I am using Unity, so the graphics are probably OpenGL, but I am not sure. I use the graphical editor to design the game and i use the included MonoDevelop IDE for coding. What laptop do you recommend. I am looking into a eurocom laptop that has a desktop core i7-4790k and gtx 980m, but I am open to any suggestions,

dakotariley1997

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Over the past 24 hours i have looked around at laptops (workstation and gaming) and i am considering the 2015 razer blade pro or the hp zbook 15 g2. i would rather get the razer blade pro because of its ability to also game, but i don't know which one is better for game development. i will take other suggestions and look into them. I can't afford anything until I can launch a kickstarter later this year (date is unknown because i am still very early into the development process hand have recently completed the game world terrain and i am about to start work on the landscape and start making buildings. I am working on a crappy school desktop and will also be working on a 5 year old hp laptop(not gaming or workstation oriented, but it does have dedicated low end gpu) when my school goes on summer vacation. i am probably launching the kickstarter in fall and i plan on releasing several gameplay updates through youtube leading up to launch.

I personally would go with the razor blade pro as it is more game oriented than the hp. Also hp is not very good at producing gaming laptops as their main focus are business users and general low end laptops.

Another good laptop that you may want to look at is the Auros v3, don't remember the exact name This is also a 17 inch laptop and should be good for playing and creating games.

This assumes that you are making very high end games for the pc as Unity doesn't require much gpu power.