what lens is the best for full body framing

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
hello all of my camera uses 50mm f1.8. but it's too narrow for some uses. what are other lens maybe wide angle lens that will give me a frame that can fit Taylor Swift from her head up to her knee in a distance of 1/2 meter? is there anything under $150?

Solution

For $150? Not a good idea, her time is far more valuable than that!

Now, if you meant what focal length you need for a 1m subject at 50cm (which is very close), you'll need about 65 degrees (simple trig), and you can find the conversion for your sensor size on the tables at http://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables. If you have an APS-C camera (considering your budget, you do), that's about 18mm, which means you will NOT find a lens in your budget. Either shoot from further...

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
For that range, you're looking at wide angles, possibly approaching ultra wide... Do you have full frame or APS-C camera?

What you're looking for is closer to 20mm full frame equivalent if not wider... those things don't come cheap nor would you use them to take portraiture (the ultra-wide focal lengths exaggerate depth distorting the face). What are you trying to do?

Long story short, what you want is nowhere near 150, and the result won't be what you're expecting...

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

sorry I think it should be a 2.5 to 3 meters or at least half than nifty fifty. I have an APS-C camera and I am planing to use a BMPCC

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
At that distance... you're looking for 35mm FF equivalent... so, for APS-C, something around 24mm... Canon has something in that range near your price point, EF-S 24mm F/2.8 pancake (may not fit your BMPCC though)... I'm not too familiar with Nikon or other systems sorry...

For $150? Not a good idea, her time is far more valuable than that!

Now, if you meant what focal length you need for a 1m subject at 50cm (which is very close), you'll need about 65 degrees (simple trig), and you can find the conversion for your sensor size on the tables at http://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables. If you have an APS-C camera (considering your budget, you do), that's about 18mm, which means you will NOT find a lens in your budget. Either shoot from further away or save up more money.

Solution

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

18mm so you mean I can use a kitlens? this is weird I haven't bought a dslr with kit lens ever. I bought my 5d with 85mm prime and my eos m3 and old 500d with 50mm prime. what about ef-m 22mm f2 stm?

1) Simple math tells you that from 50cm you won't be able to shoot a 1m subject (though at 1m it should be fine)
2) It's outside your price range of $150 (like absolutely everything other than an old kit lens on APS-C assuming you want zero room for error)

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

okay thank you I will stretch my budget for a good wide angle that will still make bokeh

That'll be pretty hard... at 16mm, my 16-35 F2.8 has pretty much everything in focus at F4, from about 1m to infinity. Even at the min distance and F2.8 it won't produce as much de-focus as a 200mm lens at f8 shooting the same framing (relative subject size only of course)

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

anyway that would be fine not all photos required bokeh. I think I can use it outdoor if i want a background blur