what operating system is best suitable for hp compaq nc 6220

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
In it's original configuration, probably Windows 98 or perhaps a light version of Linux. If the RAM has been upgraded to at least 2GB (if that's even possible), then you might be able to get Windows XP running on it.

-Wolf sends
In it's original configuration, probably Windows 98 or perhaps a light version of Linux. If the RAM has been upgraded to at least 2GB (if that's even possible), then you might be able to get Windows XP running on it.

-Wolf sends

Solution

InvalidError

Distinguished

XP only requires 256MB of RAM, though it is still only barely usable at 512MB. 1GB is where it gets comfortable.

My first laptop came with 512MB of RAM back when most laptops shipped with 256MB. I couldn't understand how people could bear having an XP PC with 256MB of RAM when 512MB already seemed barely adequate. Upgrading it to 1.25GB a couple of months later was such a huge relief for my patience.

Heh. Yeah. I didn't actually make the switch over to XP until around Q4-04. I don't even remember how much RAM that computer came with. Before that I was still running Windows 2000 on a P3-800 with 768MB RAM.

However, I do remember my old laptop after XP support had ended. It had 2GB installed and (I thought) it ran like crap. My sister's old computer only has 1GB installed (max) and even after I cleaned it up, it STILL takes forever to run anything!

So in my opinion, if you're running Windows XPSP3, you want 4GB of RAM installed.

-Wolf sends

InvalidError

Distinguished

There isn't much point in putting 4GB of RAM on a 32bits OS and CPU that can only address 3GB of it due to the better part of the 4th GB being reserved for memory-mapped IO. 3GB is the most that is worth installing on a 32bits CPU/OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.