What should I consider before buying a projector?

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
I recently purchased a mini projector (aaxa m5) and got this question a lot from my friends. I considered brightness, resolution, and portability. I am curious about what else you would like to consider.

Basically the same qualities that you would value in a TV or monitor (resolution, grey scale, color fidelity, etc) plus the white and color brightness. Video processing is important too.
There is also an issue with the accuracy of the specs you are trying to use as a guide. It's not too likely that an off brand projector will be as scrupulous as a major brand such a Epson.

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Hi,

It is interesting to see you brought video processing here. Can you specify it a bit? I have to admit I have never thought about it. Thanks!

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I recently heard the same thing from my friend who is enthusiastic about projectors. Does lens shift equal to horizon keystone correction? Or are they totally different? Thanks.

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks for all your comments. I hope this list can continue!

The funny thing here that many of you mentioned brands. Both of my friends who are interested in buying projectors had the concern that AAXA is not a well-known brand until they saw mine. I am not advertising this brand but just want to be fair about it. In fact, it is a well-respected brand in Pico Projector industry. But because they only produce portable projectors, they are not as known as Epson or Optoma. But I have to say it deserves some attention.

I found a video that compares AAXA M5 with Optoma ML750. You can see M5 actually outperforms ML750 at several aspects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU2vLIc7Uzc&feature=youtu.be