What should I do ?

UniverseCloud

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
My computer's harddrive is not working anymore, as soon as I switch on the laptop, it takes me to the diagnostics and eventually it goes straight to saying "harddrive not found" (it doesn't do the diagnostic!!).

So my question is: (I might be answering my own question) if I buy a new/clean hard drive will I have to re-buy windows 10 ?

I have seen another post here on the forum about it ( not the same case but similar ), someone said when you get the harddrive, go on amother computer, download "media creation tools", run it and it will have an option to download an iso of windows so I can burn it on a CD or a flash drive then use it on my laptop.

Thank you!

Supahos

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Your laptop should have come with a CD for it. If not the what you said above is correct. You shouldn't have to rebuy it. When you're in there messing with the hd. Ensure it's properly attached before you toss it. Could just be a bad connection

UniverseCloud

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
I check up the link Elbert gave me but it says i need 3 things and one of them is the product key (which I don't have around me in a piece of paper nor I have the box I got the laptop with. I opened the laptop to see if the product key is somewhere inside but nothing. What should I do here ?

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

How old is your laptop?
If it's still under warranty, you get replacement HDD for free.

If the laptop was sold with windows 10, then you don't have to buy another windows 10 license.
Just reinstall windows 10 (the same version as before, wrong version will not activate).

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
You clicked the wrong link (for windows 7 most likely). Windows 10 media creation tool doesn't ask for activation key.

When you purchased your laptop, one (or more) of three things should have happened.

1) When you opened the box with your laptop, you should have found a recovery CD/DVD with which you could reinstall your OS.
2) When you first powered on your laptop, you should have been offered to create a recovery CD/DVD for uses in cases like this.
3) Somewhere in the instructions for using your laptop should have been instructions for creating a recovery CD/DVD for cases like this.

Point being, at some point, you were offered to create media to resolve issues like this. If you did not (most people don't), then you main option is to contact the laptop manufacturer and request recovery media for your system to install on a new hard drive.

Of course, if the laptop is still under warranty, just send the system back to the manufacturer for them to correct the issue (hoping you have a back up of your data).

-Wolf sends

elbert

Distinguished

You dont need anything as your laptop should have the bios key. The install will pick up the bios key itself. Even if it doesn't you could still install and leave windows unactivated(free trail). Then possibly try the MS account activation.