What tablet do I get for fast e-book and docx editing/reading/scrolling?

Which tablet is best for mostly work and some play?

• Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galaxy Note 8

• EVGA Tegra Note 7

• Ipad Mini

• Acer Iconia W4

• Toshiba Encore

• Dell Venue

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

badler01

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I need a tablet that is in the 8" region and renders pdfs, docx and such quickly. I have over 50 ebooks and a huge amount of summarized personal notes - all with a heavy amount of pictures in them. I want the documents to be left in docx format for editing on-the-go. Pdfs are in the 50-200mb range with over 1000 pages in many of them. I have been looking for ages - particularly Acer Iconia W4, Tegra Note 7, Nexus 7 (2nd gen), Toshiba Encore, Galaxy Note 3 - and I am still worried that the specs are not up to what I need.

You tube videos show lag in just basic task handling for the 8" windows based tablets. I had big hopes for the new Bay Trail processors and the combined faster and larger RAM, and for Samsung’s new eMMC 5.0 storage.

And I am not sure if the other android based tablets have fast enough or large enough RAM or powerful enough processors to load documents/pdfs quick enough (and half the time I can't find out what storage they are using).

I want to scroll and search quickly (and I mean quickly - not siting their for 5-10 sec every 3-4 pages).

All the reviews suggest tablets as being for WORK and play - but there is so much focus on the play part. Stress is placed on FPS, the resolution, graphics rendering, gaming performance and so on. But how about the work part? What if you do want to use it as a smaller laptop on the go, and the multimedia part is a cool addition? Will these products do the job - or will they just drive you nuts because of the lag (especially in docx or pptx editing), or because windows 8 is really annoyingly small on such small screens.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS