What to install before/on first boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtyandsix

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hey all,
I just finished building a pc and am ready to install my operating system. But I vaguely remember reading somewhere you should update your mobo's bio first before installing the operating system. Does it really matter whether I install it before or after installing Windows 7? Also, other than bios update, gpu driver, and temperature monitor (I plan on using my Asus mobo's software, any good?), is there anything else important I need to install for optimizing performance and maintenance?

Solution
I always check the bios version number that is currently installed with the most current bios on the manufacturer's web site to see if there are any important updates like fixes to USB or to allow recognition of newer CPU's and stuff, then decide weather the bios needs updated or not. I do this before installing the OS. Also, go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the newest drivers from there as the ones on disk are probably out dated. If you have a discrete video cards, you can get the drivers from AMD's(ATI) or NVidia's web site.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!

The BIOS very very rarely needs to be updated.

I always clean install then make sure all of your drivers and OS are up to date, before installing software. Load up chipsets before other hardware (If necessary). Then after OS is up to date start installing desired software.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I always check the bios version number that is currently installed with the most current bios on the manufacturer's web site to see if there are any important updates like fixes to USB or to allow recognition of newer CPU's and stuff, then decide weather the bios needs updated or not. I do this before installing the OS. Also, go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the newest drivers from there as the ones on disk are probably out dated. If you have a discrete video cards, you can get the drivers from AMD's(ATI) or NVidia's web site.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.