What would be an excellent GAMING headset for no more than $200?

InfamousMango

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I am building my second gaming PC and would like to know some of the best headsets for First Person Shooters as I want the sound advantage. I have absolutely no interest in watching media or music with headphones, I want one that has the best sound quality for games and for no more than $200. Right now I have my eyes on the Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism but wanted to know if there are better headsets out there.

Solution
if you want the best "advantage" in "first person shooters" then i'd suggest a pair of headphones not a headset (and add on a mic).

the audiotechnica ad700x or ad900x are great for this. they have an absolutely huge soundstage, great positional accuracy and almost no bass output which means that while sound might not be "exciting" it does allow you to hear footsteps that you would not be able to hear on bassier cans.

yes, it is a set of stereo headphones not surround (but most so called surround headsets are virtual anyways). if you had onboard sound which supported it, the razer software or a slot soundcard which supported virtual then you can make them virtual as well. however, most people find that this is not required as...
if you want the best "advantage" in "first person shooters" then i'd suggest a pair of headphones not a headset (and add on a mic).

the audiotechnica ad700x or ad900x are great for this. they have an absolutely huge soundstage, great positional accuracy and almost no bass output which means that while sound might not be "exciting" it does allow you to hear footsteps that you would not be able to hear on bassier cans.

yes, it is a set of stereo headphones not surround (but most so called surround headsets are virtual anyways). if you had onboard sound which supported it, the razer software or a slot soundcard which supported virtual then you can make them virtual as well. however, most people find that this is not required as positional accuracy is fine without. your call (your preference)

you can pair it up with a modmic, other clip on mic, or desk mic for voice and still be under $200.

Solution

InfamousMango

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013