What's the best book or course for Mac repair and troubleshooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi: What's the best book or course for Mac repair and troubleshooting?.

I'm looking for something similar to "Upgrading and repairing PCs by Scott Mueller", which is the best book for PC repair I've ever read.

Thanks for your opinions

Getmilk

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Apple doesn't intend you to self service the hardware. They use torx screws (you'll need a special screwdriver set) and they hardglue in the screws.

If your apple hardware is so old that it's out of warranty then you could attempt to service it yourself, you'll find that Apple does not provide spare parts, and that the sketchy Chinese hardware replacements you can buy will often be of a quality that would better serve as a paperweight than actual hardware.

I'd say you're boned, Apple intends this to happen though... So buy a new one, or maybe... just maybe, don't buy Apple again?

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Interesting. Thanks a lot.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
since probably the 80s or maybe 90s, that was Apple's reputation and business method - make it 100% proprietary to ensure 100% functionality. IBM went open, and out came six trillion clones each one just a little bit different.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Check here for some quality video guides: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/

I have personal experience with this company and they are reliable, reasonable, and honest. BTW, I have serviced several Apple rigs (desktops and laptops) all with standard tools. Having torx drivers is no big deal. Nor is the use of locktite (many OEM vendors do this, particularly with laptops).

Isumbras

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
Original Apple Service manuals are widely available for free on the Internet, just Google the model and year of your mac + Service or Manual.

DIY repairs and upgrades vary from easy to risky to virtually impossible to totally impossible.

There are plenty of how-to videos on YouTube too.

Apple parts both new and second hand are readily available on E-Bay or there are suppliers such as Apple Mac Parts and The Bookyard (you can enter your machine's serial number and it will identify the model and year of of manufacture).

Install Mactracker on your Desktop or iOS device. All the info you need to know about your Mac including upgrade options.

Getmilk

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

Name one other OEM vendor who does this?

I've serviced Dell, HP, ASUS, Acer, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Apple and Lenovo, and only Apple does this. Apple also is the only company that completely voids your warranty for opening up the machines.

Torx Screw usage -> Apple
Phillips Screw Usage -> All others.
Locktite Glue usage -> Apple
No glue on case screws -> all others.

Lets not try to make Apple seem better than they are, I know that's a common thing for Apple users to think that what they're getting isn't much different (and they are right when it comes to hardware, the build qualities and hardware strength is exactly the same as other OEM vendors) you do pay more though and you don't get the self serviceability that you get with other laptop manufacturers.

Isumbras

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014

Isumbras

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014

Isumbras

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
Your comments are specious to the point of being vexatious. You make accusations about Apple which betray the usual bias against Apple on forums such as this one.

Torx screwdrivers can be bought in any hardware store for a few pence. The 'loctite' issue is spurious, a firm twist is all that is required to get past that. I have been working in the Computer repair business for over 23 years now and there is no manufacturer who would not challenge you if you returned a machine to them after you had clearly attempted to repair it or upgraded it in such a way as to void the warranty as laid out in their T&Cs. Read them if you doubt me.

I do not think that Apple are beyond reproach but what they do which no almost no PC manufacturer does is to sell quality engineered and innovative products, almost always streets ahead of those who slavishly ride on their coat-tails, using bespoke components that are not bought in on the 'cheapest at the time of manufacture' basis. Compare two or more machines from a manufacturer like Dell with the same model number and manufactured within days of each other, ostensibly identical, and you will find they have been built using different graphics boards, audio cards etc. which need different drivers which are often very difficult to ascertain as to whether they will work properly.

I realised long ago that life is too short to deal with the exigencies and complexities of 'PC' manufacturer's who need to deliver their products at rock bottom prices.

You are unlikely to want to interfere with the specification or attempt to repair a machine which is 'in warranty'. After that period has elapsed I have found very few manufacturers who will repair a machine free of charge on a machine that has been interfered with. In my experience Apple are among those few and are often more forgiving than most.

rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Great answer. Thanks. Not what I asked but it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.