Whats the best laptop for gaming/workstation for around $3000 to $4000?

mikepronin

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I was looking into 3 different laptops. The the Alienware 18, Eurocom Panther 4.0, or Eurocom Panther 5D.
There a only a few different between the 3.
Alienware 18 has a 18.4" screen that i like alot Dual GPU ether 760m or 780m, but they are using the Core i7 MQ Mobile CPU
Where as the Panthers have a 17.3" screen and Dual GPU. But the Panther 4.0 Can have Dual Radeon 8970m that about $500 cheaper then the Dual 780m but are just as powerful as those cards are. And the Panthers can use Core i7 and Xeon Full Desktop CPUs
So the question is. Im Looking for the best performance for gaming and rendering with a budget of no more then $3700 I could stretch to $4000 but i really want to keep it a small as possible.
BTW if anyone have any other latop please let me know and send a link to the manufacture

here where you can look at Eurocom laptops http://eurocom.com/
here where you can look at Alienware laptop http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd?oc=dkcwx31h&model_id=alienware-18

Solution
Screw alienware, less power more brand name priceing.

www.ibuypower.com
Alienware power without the alienware price.

Heres a maxxed out build that is BEAST That will smoke anything you've listed:

ypdj.png

ldewitt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Screw alienware, less power more brand name priceing.

www.ibuypower.com
Alienware power without the alienware price.

Heres a maxxed out build that is BEAST That will smoke anything you've listed:

ypdj.png

Solution

mikepronin

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

This is only a single gpu. I want a dual gpu system only.

ldewitt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Alright you have 2 options here:
Dual GTX 765M 2GB:
9kxc.png

OR
Dual GTX 780M 4GB:
xhhg.png

Obviously the main differences are one has 2GB of video memory and the other has 4GB of video memory, and of course the $1000 price difference.

mikepronin

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Interesting choices but why are you stuck on ibuypower.com? BTW did you not read the full post. The only reason i would buy the alienware is because of that 18.4" screen. The mobile CPU is where i have a issue. Both Eurocom have full desktop cpu and the upgrade ability factor is awesome. Only issue i have with the alienware and ibuypower is that they are locked to only mobile CPU and only 4 or 5 possible upgrates. My current laptop is a Asus G73-jw I have had it for 3+ years and it was nice at the time but no upgrade ability.

ldewitt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I'm stuck on ibuypower because they are better deals than alienware. 1 inch difference in the screen is gona turn you onto in, go ahead i'm only giving suggestions you came here for options, Looks like i'm the only one supplying them. I'm not holding a gun to you saying buy it, only throwing options out for you.

Awemage

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

If you are looking for desktop-esque parts and performance in a laptop [Xeon (Which is a server processor), 18.4" Display], then you should really just build yourself a desktop for 1/2 the price, as a laptop of that size and power would have no usable battery life and would be a hassle to carry anywhere. That and the cheaper desktop route would yield you fully-powered parts that would destroy any of the laptops you've looked at/suggested.