what's up with ibuypower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valleus

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hi, this is my first post here at Toms.
Anyhow, I'm going to buy a laptop for college real soon, and I want it to last for a while and be good for gaming and all that. Of the sites I've been to (hp, dell, killernotebooks, alienware, ibuypower), and by far the best price/performance ratio winner is ibuypower(for a $1600-1800 budget). Does anybody know anything about these guys? Do their laptops have crappy oem parts(like celestica)? Can anybody point me in a better direction? I've never really heard good or bad about these guys.
Thanks

die_for_me666

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
NOOO NOO DONT DO IT!!!!

i recently purchased a desktop computer on june 28th it did not get here till august 4th...and during this period i constantly called them as so i can better understand the hold up and they constantly kept passing the ball. It was random reason and it was always to be shipped the next day....

Besides getting it late cords where unplugged when it arrived parts where missing the case was scuffed the lcd display on my case cracked? god knows what really goes on in there assembly lines.

Then i attempted to call them back for a refund.

They would put on hold for long periods of time and just hang up on me...

Horrible service.

I tagged it and sent it back...still waiting for refund....

By what just about everyone else says ive heard the laptops are even worse....

Just do a quick search on the net, and im sure your decision will be obvious.

capatel0088

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
also might want to look into http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ i heard they are good but the best value I have seen is http://powernotebooks.com/ they are very cheap and powerful, but you may want to wait until the merom core (core 2 duo) notebooks come out, then you can either get those or at lease expect to pay less for core duo's

blancj

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I would suggest another forum for some additional research....
www.notebookreview.com

They seem to have a large user base, and attract a great many of these smaller sellers techs to "help" users. (I have gotten help from such a tech about my whitebook, even though his company didnt sell it to me; sure it was unoffical but the reccomendation fixed my problem)

Also, do know specificly what you want? AMD or Intel? Nvidia or ATi?
Most of the smaller company's use either MSI or Asus barebones systems and build them up then are the first line warrenty and service providers.

TurboDad

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I place an order for an iBuyPower rig on Aug 13, 2008 and after a few days wanted to make a few changes. I called and was placed on hold for an hour. I called back twice and finally was dumped into a general mail box from which I did not get a call back! I emailed an Adminstrator on their evening forum requesting assistance. I got an email back promising that he'd spoke with the Customer Service mgr telling him to have a rep call me. That didn't happen either. I emailed sales out of pure destress and "low and behold" I get a responose from their fixer...Danny. He fixed all my issues in short order but accessing customer service has proven to be impossible for me thus far! Good Luck to all who follow in my foot steps...have patience!

random guy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
isnt cyberpowerpc and ibuypower the same company? seems like it.

if so perhaps my expirience with cyberpowerpc will be helpful: they ran out of a specific model of processor i upgraded to on one system (which incedentally was cheaper yet faster than another model). they ran out of stock of my processor but i said i wouldnt mind the slightly slower one (they were both 3.0ghz but mine was a penryn so slightly faster) but they wanted me to pay the $80 price difference to downgrade my cpu. plus they wanted me to wait a few months.

anyway they have good priced machines but you got to be willing to wait wait and wait to get what you ordered. i canceled my order so i cant vouch for quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.