whatsap security threats?

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Hello,

Just a question about files sent on whatsap. Can we get any virus or attack through a picture, voice message or video that someone is sending us?

The point is, someone I know from business, who had never sent me any pics or video on whatsap, has sent me the very same video twice in the last year. It is so suspicious!

Would be good to know if he is just trying to be friendly, or maybe all the opposite.

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Yes, it is possible and it's becoming more and more of a recurrent thing.
Fake links or scams on that platform are already very common, you can search for more about that.

Files and Vids are still becoming a thing, unfortunately, but it's already possible as far as i've read.

I'm not saying that he's trying to send virus to you. He might not even know he is infected ( or be at all ) and sending those to other people, i think you should warn him about that.

Confirm the origin of the vid he's sending you first before opening it. That's what i'd do.

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Thanks. A bit late, as I have already opened the video. It doesn't look good.

Do you know if there is any way I could find out? Maybe installing an antivirus or something?

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Sorry to hear, but as i said, it may not be a malware or something, maybe it didn't spread. Just because you opened it don't necesseraly means you're infected.

It doesn't hurt to try one of them. There's plenty of free anti-virus apps.
But be aware that they're not a perfect solution, they may end-up with false positives or consuming some of your processor in the background.
They aren't as nearly as efficient as Desktop's anti-virus.

So i'd say, download it, make a full scan, check the results, take the proper action and if you feel like it's not relevant, uninstall it.
Otherwise, keep it, no harm done either.

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
My suspects are not a virus getting spread or anything like that, but that guy getting access to data in my mobile, conversations, or whatever.

Ok, I will look for antiviruses then, although the video doesn't appear in my pictures folder, so not sure if an antivirus could detect anything. It would be good to know if a have to shake his hand next time I meet him, or rather do something else :))

hukkus

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
I have been reading further about it, and it is actually pretty easy to get access to someone's mobile sending corrupted files over whatsap. Disgusting.

However, it seems really difficult to detect if someone is getting access to your mobile, with some blogs recommending paying for a check of your mobile to a securify company if you want to find out. If anyone knows about some home made solution to do this, please share!