when typing text i select capslock, screen flashes black for a brief moment

Chris_244

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

sorry I'm late in my reply to your response, I have a Toshiba satellite C850-10C running Window's 10 .

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

From what I could find its likely related to the display driver. The other thing it could be is an issue with your keyboard, I know it sounds nuts but laptops are so packed in there could be a pressure spot on the mother board there. You haven't dropped the laptop recently have you?

Chris_244

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
no I haven't dropped it, BUT there have been a couple of annoying thing's I should mention. 1- when using headphones I have to keep waggling the jack in the socket to keep it in stereo, also the usb socket closet to the microphone socket has not worked for some time.so I don't know if these have any bearing on the problem.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Sockets failing like that could be indicators of a failing motherboard. Unfortunately because all laptops are quite different thats something Toshiba would really need to determine for you, but yes it could be related.

Chris_244

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
thanks for your answer, I think you are correct saying it is a graphic driver problem ,I checked the updates and it had checked for updates only 10 mins earlier, reporting that everything was up to date. it is only the one usb socket not working. a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a lot which had built up, and I had not used for a while. it now starts up from shutdown in less than a minute now, so I don't put it to sleep any more.