Where can I find beginner tutorials for C++ and Java?

chacol

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

I'm interested in learning programming in the languages of C++ and Java, but I am not quite sure on where to find guides to help me learn these languages.

If you know any sites or guides that I could look at, please let me know.

ericlewis107

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I suggest you to learn C before C++, C#. C is the basis: it's quite simple but very powerful. Then you'll have the base to learn C++ or the others, which are much more complicated, but based on C.

norton50

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Honestly they're expensive but I really like the o'reilly books. I am no expert but it may be something too look into. Google is always there to help as well.

chacol

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I don't think I want to purchase books because I will be taking a course in college after I graduate from high school.

I know Google is a wonderful tool that could easily answer this question, but I was looking more towards people that have taught themselves through specific tutorials from a specific website.

The tutorials are on Google are vague and difficult to teach to people that have no experience in programming.

Also, should I learn C++ or Java first? I want to learn Java so I will be able to create my own mods for Minecraft, but C++ is more of a standard language that a lot of people start with.

Thanks for your help so far, but I was hoping for a more thorough answer.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I was hoping for a more thorough answer.
- That's why people like me exist... to help people like you.!

If you want to learn how to create mods for Minecraft, and it requires the use of Java, then just learn Java first.

Java, as a language, is a more basic version of C++, it works totally differently but the syntax is based on C++ only it can't do anywhere near as much. (Sure, some projects come close but they're coded by experts with decades of experience working around Java's limitations).

By the time you know Java thoroughly 5 to 10 years will have past and computers will be almost 1,000 times as powerful as they are today so it won't matter as much.

Visit: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
- Scroll down to Trails Covering the Basics as Generics are probably beyond your reach atm.
- Read the following articles, and check off everything in the table of contents

Getting Started — An introduction to Java technology and lessons on installing Java development software and using it to create a simple program.
Learning the Java Language — Lessons describing the essential concepts and features of the Java Programming Language.
Essential Java Classes — Lessons on exceptions, basic input/output, concurrency, regular expressions, and the platform environment.
Collections — Lessons on using and extending the Java Collections Framework.

Collections might cover, or at least mention, Generics a little but by the time you get to it you'll be more prepared for it.

Some of the best programmers in the world started when they were only 12 to 12 years old, and having Minecraft as a motivator really does give younger programmers something to reach for with more instantaneous visual (3D to boot) feedback of their work.