Which 32" Plasma or LCD to get?

moval0890

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
So I'm looking to buy either a 32 or 37" HDTV, but not sure if I want a plasma or LCD.
It will mainly be used for Xbox, but also for television and dvd's pretty frequently also.

So far for LCD I'm pretty stuck between a
37 inch Vizio VU37L for $600 from Dell
OR
32 inch Vizio VW32L for $480 from Walmart

I chose these two because of the price and ratings in Consumer Reports and online customer reviews.

As for Plasma screens I'm not familiar with the price range or anything but I'm looking for something comparable to what I found in LCD

32" for maybe $500(After tax/shipping)
37" for maybe $600(After tax/shipping)

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If you are a gamer you should stick with LCD. Ask any TV shop of bigbox store which format is best for gaming. Everyone will tell you LCD beats PLASMA, TUBE and DLP. I use my LCD for gaming and PC uses primarily. For me getting a PLAMSA would not fit my needs correctly.

As far as your brand selection, just keep in mind that Vizio is cheaper for a reason. They are not know for having the best quality panels. Not sure how often you are planning on buying TV's but I would definitely recommend and extended warranty if it is offered. I personally make purchases through BestBuy because they have the best extended warranties and if anything ever went wrong, (which it has on some more "reputable" brands than Vizio), they would take care of it pronto.

Just something to think about.

You may also want to check out http://hdguru.com/

it is the site i used for my base research when deciding between which TV to get and why? I recommend that site to a lot of people. No one has complained and everyone says they walk away better equipped to talk about HDTV's.

Good Luck!!!

moval0890

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Cool, thanks for the advice. The only reason I'm leaning towards Vizio is because of price and ratings in consumer reports because of the price. I'm a college student and don't really have substantial amount amount of money to spend like $1000 on something so I'm kind of stuck

I will probably end up getting the 32" from Wal-Mart but I am going to check out costco first to see what they have. I have about 2 more months to research all this first.

And I will for sure check out the website.

Thanks.

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If you are in school and budget is a concern of course get the Vizio. If you were just looking to spend less, even though you could spend more, I would advise staying away from Vizio.

It isn't that they are bad, it's just there is much better out there.

I would still recommend looking into extended warranties in either case. Make sure to get those details as well so you can figure out if you can addord it or not.
Good Luck!!!

moval0890

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
yes, money is my main reason so Vizio is my choice since I only work part-time and the extra few $$ could be used for other things I would like/need.

Thank you for so help, I will be sure to look in to extended warranties and be sure get one if at all possible.