Which 49" 4ktv?

Jan 13, 2019
The TCL S517 or LG UK6090? Or if you guys know another 49" tv model that I don't know about. I will mostly use it for movies, gaming and watch cable and of course 4k material. Which has the better picture and bang for you buck. I am looking to stay under $500. Thanks

Jan 13, 2019
Thanks. Its actually $402 with tax at amazon. I think I am gonna get it. Good deal. Do you have a TCL? Is it even worth upgrading to 4k? Their isnt alot of content. I mean I have a PS4 not pro and I have Netflix and amazon and hulu. I just hope the upscaling is good on this tv.

I have not done exhaustive research on the S series so no comment. If u like the Amazon comments and I mean you read all the negatives and you think you can deal with them, go for it.

Be aware Amazon often lists for third party vendors, and so not so easy to return if you have to.

Regardless whether u need 4K or not, but a 4K TV may forces you to upgrade the other pieces of your system.

Jan 13, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from elvisp41174 : "Consumer Reports 2018 4kTV Buyers Guide."

Here is the 2018 Consumers Buying guide for 4ktv 2018. I'am stuck between getting a TCL 49S517 from amazon. I cant afford the 617 or 6 series for more money and I need to stay at max screen size of 49 to fit my room. So the buyers guide is totally off with all of the other reviews who are rating the TCL as a great TV. Take a look here is a link to download PDF. They have the TCl 49S517 pretty low on thier score. They have the LG 6300 as being a best pick and better tv then TCL. What gives here people. Now I am more confused.

Here is the link:
https://www.consumerreports.org/televisions/best-tvs-of-the-year/

Jan 13, 2019
Is there anyway to replay to a person on here? Anyway to Jsmithepa. Every TV has some megative reviews. I guess becuase TCL is know for the papal lottery. I think every TV manufacturer has that issue but I maybe wrong. Anyway I tweeted the guys at rtings.com and he responded to me saying the TCL 5 series 517 is a better TV then all of them in the lower budget TV. Of course it's not and OLED. I dont want to pay for a high end 4k till I know the 4k will be going mainstream. So I think I will go with the S517. I mean you can't beat that price. Plus I think people are stupid to buy high end 4ktv right now. Yeah it probably will be mainstream in a few years but you never know. Plus this S517 has Dolby Vision and HDR which I was told looks pretty good. Even thought it wont be a TRUE HDR. True HDR is 1000 nits or higher. This tv only has I think 400 nits.