Status
Not open for further replies.

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Pop-up, Message, It doesn't warn me about anything... Then there are usally tracking cookies and so on. I am using windows XP untill I can find a Downgrade. As well I am using the latest fire fox now I thought it would help too stay updated, its not really helping as of now. Now I am using IE Safe but annoying!

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You can control cookies with the Cookie Monster or Cookie Culler add-on, and the pop-up is probably malware. There are also thousands of add-ns to tweak it any way you want and correct any possible annoyance:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Run MalwareBytes AntiMalware and tell me what it found.

Also uninstall any extra toolbars you have in Firefox. They all contain spyware.

IE is not the safest, although that's what had you asked about. MS waits far too long to patch vulnerabilities. And it allows in as many tracking cookies as any browser.

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Will It hurt to run malware with norton?

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Nothing but now I am running a norton and it has some thing cookie most likely

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Does "nothing" mean MBAM found nothing?

Do you have the popup blocker on?

Can you post a screenshot of the popup?

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
1. Avoid Google and any/all of its products at any cost. If you're not familiar with Eric Schmidt's quote on privacy, look it up on www.startpage.com.

2. This means not using Chrome, Droid OS, Youtube, google.com, and always always using noscript to block any/all google scripts that run on pretty much EVERY webpage in existence. googlesyndication.com and google-analytics.com are huge privacy invaders, as well as everything involved with google. Seriously, avoid them like the plague.

3. If you're not sure how you should be blocking scripts, go to oldapps.com and download firefox 1.5.x (1.5.0.8 and 1.5.0.12 are pretty good stable versions), and then also download NoScript, as an addon to firefox. Set all your stuff to never check for updates because pretty much all the new versions of every browser have all kinds of backdoors and ways for sites to track you much better, especially sites owned by Google.

4. Do not ever use any firewall other than stock windows apps like Defender, Windows Firewall, and please for the love of god install a hardware firewall via a router or another PC running linux, if you care about your privacy and security. I won't go into detail, but if you really dig deep into 3rd party firewall or AV programs, they're basically just backdoors that allow a lot of stuff in, and they frequently phone home to tell other people what you're up to. If you think I'm kidding, then go back to sleep, you're not ready to wake up yet.

TL;DR version: FF 1.5.0.12 + NoScript, no firewall or AV other than Windows Defender, Win Firewall, and Spybot/Teatimer. Hardware Firewall becoming a must have.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
1, 2--I agree

3--The old Firefoxes are full of security holes that were patched in newer version.

4--Where did you get your firewall info? From independent test sites? I've used commercial firewalls, Zonealarm, Comodo, Outpost for 15 years without a single hacker, and I have no router. And the Windows firewall works in only one direction.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

There may be security holes, but new versions do some very sinister things, mostly having to do with being more compatible with google sites, and offering up more of your info to google. Just look at any browser that came out in the last year and look at their new "features" and think to yourself, "Are those really features or are they basically inviting invasions of privacy right into your PC everytime you open a browser window and click a link?"

If you've used Zonealarm, take a look at ALL of the default settings, you'll surely find some things that should either not be an option at all because it's basically a backdoor/phonehome script or vulnerability programmed right into the actual firewall software, or it's a setting that by default should be set to the exact opposite setting as to not allow security/privacy breaches. Just dig a little and you'll see. Start with ZA because they're one of the more obvious and bold examples, then go from there and you'll see that they're certainly not alone. Then compare free or trialware versions to paid versions and then again to cracked versions. Your jaw will drop. I'll say no more because they're already sending me letters and I don't want to upset the beast.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I've worked with thousands of computers in my business. I don't see reputable firewalls phoning home. Have you used Process Explorer to see this? You'll have to back this up with tests from reputable testing sources.

Firefox is open-source, and you can check the code yourself. The code can also be tweaked to your needs, as you can see at mozillazine.org.

Are those little green people who are sending you letters?

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I might question the motives of someone attempting to discredit everything I've said by implying that I am some nut who receives letters from "little green men", but I won't even waste my time. I've said exactly as much as I can say, and those who are interested in the truth will find the facts (quite readily) and can make their own determinations. I don't care if you attack me nor if you try to discredit me, truth has a way of making people like you who attack the truth look like fools, I don't even need to put any effort into making that happen, so I'm done with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.