which camcorder to buy

camera11

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hi

We are looking at 3 camcorders to take videos of our kids. Our iphones quickly get filled up, so we have been taking only short videos with those, and we want a dedicated camcorder with ample space. Which of these three are best?

Canon VIXIA HF R700
Sony HD HDRCX405
Canon VIXIA HF R72

Thanks

Solution
Below are links to videos you may be interested in watching:
iPhone 6 vs Canon VIXIA HF R500
Canon HF R600 vs iPhone 6/6s
Canon VIXIA HF R700 compared to iPhone 6s Plus (raw footage)

Those are not professional comparisons but it may at least help point you in the right direction. I like using the phone for short videos when I don't have a camcorder handy but much prefer the control I have with a camcorder. Of course the ones I have a bit older (VIXIA HF-G20) than what you are looking at but they work well for me. The image quality for most of the camcorders in the price range you are looking at is going to be very similar. It comes down to you and the features you are looking for in a camcorder.

A comparison of specs can be found here. The Canon's have a slightly larger sensor which may impact low-light performance. The Canon VIXIA HF-R72 has 32GB of internal flash memory. Of course with any of the three you can record to a removable SD card so when one fills up you can replace it with another. Between the two Canon models the specs are very similar.

Do you shoot 4K video? If yes, then you really can't compare since none of those camcorders record 4K video. One major advantage of the camcorders is the removable storage. Do you shoot everything handheld or do you use a tripod with a special mount for the iPhone? The only real way to know whether or not one would meet your expectations is to try it, watch sample videos from each and/or read the comparisons between the 6s and camcorders.

Below are links to videos you may be interested in watching:
iPhone 6 vs Canon VIXIA HF R500
Canon HF R600 vs iPhone 6/6s
Canon VIXIA HF R700 compared to iPhone 6s Plus (raw footage)

Those are not professional comparisons but it may at least help point you in the right direction. I like using the phone for short videos when I don't have a camcorder handy but much prefer the control I have with a camcorder. Of course the ones I have a bit older (VIXIA HF-G20) than what you are looking at but they work well for me. The image quality for most of the camcorders in the price range you are looking at is going to be very similar. It comes down to you and the features you are looking for in a camcorder.

Solution