Which computer should I get to use with my 37" 1080p HDTV?

nanifay

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi all,

So I have a 37" 1080p HDTV and I was thinking about using it as a computer monitor. I would like to know what I need to be looking for as far as what specs are important to getting a good image (especially in terms of text readability). I would like to be able to use it as a fully functional word processor, as well as everything else that my PS3 doesn't already do better (games, netflix, etc. I think will be better on the PS3, however I wouldn't mind the option of being able to play WoW or something like that on the PC via HDTV). The PS3 does NOT support Google Docs....

Some things I have thought about already:

I am pretty sure HDMI to HDMI would be the best quality connection (I have tried connecting my current laptop via S-video and the text quality is pretty poor - not really usable). So I think getting a PC with an HDMI output would be best (the TV of course has several HDMI inputs).

I plan on using a wireless keyboard and mouse and sitting about 6' away from the tv.

So when I am looking at computers, do I need to be looking for something that says 1920 x 1080? Where would it say that in the specs? How do I know that the computer will be able to output the correct resolution to look good on the HDTV? The max resolution on my current laptop is 1280 x 800.

Anything else I need to be looking out for when I am looking at computers?

Thanks!

you will want to base your computers specs on what you plan to use it for. if all you need is a basic web browser, word editor, and in general a non-performance machine then you can get away rather cheap. an i3/i5 processor, 4gb ram, low priced video card should work fine.

if you want to be able to play the newest games, do graphics work/3d modeling, convert large files or do other demanding tasks then you will need a more expensive and powerful machine. an i7 processor, 4-6gb ram, higher end video card should work fine.

any video card you buy should be able to display 1920x1080. no matter if its $100 or $800. the better cards are really only required for gaming or design work. i've used $100-150 cards in non-performance pcs for years and they work fine for movies, basic games, and general pc use.

as far as cable connections... most video cards use dvi.. some may have hdmi. personally i prefer dvi and using a dvi-to-hdmi cable. this is even better if you have sound out via dvi (most newer cards should).