Which drivers and anti-virus software do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFin

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
So I have/I will buy these parts
MOBO:Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU:AMD FX6300
RAM:Kingston hyperX genesis 8g-kit
GPU:Asus radeon hd7870 directcu ii 2gb
optical dive:Asus drw-24b5st
HDD:Seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
Case:Antec three hundred

OK. Thats out of the way so I can now ask my questions. Which are about drivers. So I just want to say I dont know ANYTHING about drivers. But i know i want all of the newest drivers for these parts. I have heard that the newest ones can be downloaded from the manufacters website but without the drivers, will my internet even work or do I have to install some of the older drives from the CDs to make internet work first???
and could someone link all the drivers I need because I dont know what I need. :(
Also what FREE anti-virus software do you recomend? Is Avast any good?

HUGE thanks ~ Larry

Solution

ALL the drivers for each device. The newest ones for the device and your OS.
Easier to get them all now, and then only install the needed ones as you build.

LAN/Audio/chipset/GPU/etc/etc/etc.
Go to the various websites, and get the newest one for your OS.

USAFRet

Illustrious
So...you're here, online.
Using the PC/laptop you are currently on, download all the relevant drivers to a folder tree. One folder for each manufacturer.

Save all of that to a USB stick.

When you build the new machine, plug it in and install the needed drivers from that USB stick.

Blaise170

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I'd use either AVG, Avast, or BitDefender. They are all really good for antivirus. For drivers, just download the one you'll need for ethernet/wireless connectivity and then you can connect on the new PC.

USAFRet

Illustrious

ALL the drivers for each device. The newest ones for the device and your OS.
Easier to get them all now, and then only install the needed ones as you build.

LAN/Audio/chipset/GPU/etc/etc/etc.
Go to the various websites, and get the newest one for your OS.

Solution

LarryFin

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
OK. Thanks for that. So im assuming that page got every motherboard driver i need, then i need GPU and optical drive drivers. Is there any other drivers that I havent mentioned (not going to use any other pci-e cards)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Go to the manufacturers site of all the hardware you're getting. MB/CPU/GPU/etc. Someone may have a firmware update or something. Get all the drivers for your OS. Easier to get them all now, rather than later.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right. You probably won't find a diver for that specific CPU, but rather you'll find them within the motherboard drivers.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

But before downloading the new drivers, install the existing ones from the included CD. The motherboard manufacturers include those for a reason. Install them and then let the programs automatically update themselves.

LarryFin

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Ok, but can i install the drivers from cds before installing winfows because i dont think i can install it without optical drive drivers. Also, when i will be updating the old drivers, do i need to unistall the old ones from cds? If so, how? Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.