Which gives better picture quality: LED Ultra High Definition or LCD High Definition?

Amamake

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Recently I've been thinking about getting a new television for my house. The samsung television my parents bought me is waaaay to small. It's 30 to 40 inches and the picture doesn't fit on the screen even with certain adjustments. My question is which gives better picture quality? The new LED Ultra High Definition televisions like the 55” Class LED 9000 Series 4k Ultra HD TV from Samung vs one of their other 55" LCD 1080p Televisions?

This is what I know from my computer gaming past:
1.) The higher the resolution the clearer the picture.
2.) 1080p LED monitors pale in comparison to 1080p LCD monitors quality in picture.
3.) LCD monitors can leak if mishandled or not assembled correctly.

Now I know that I am comparing two different resolutions here. One is 4k and the other is 1080. The reason for this is because one is LED and the other is LCD. From my previous experiences when I was younger I remember that huge projection televisions sucked in picture quality and I also remember my ex neighbor's plasma television did not have a real good quality in picture either even in 1080p resolution.

Even though the 4k resolution UHD LED Television is higher in resolution than the HD LCD television will it have a much better picture quality?

gkay09

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Just one to thing to clear here first.
LED implies LED back lit LCDs. Whereas just LCDs are in actual fluorescent lit LCDs

As LEDs are more bright, the colors will be brighter and more contrast.
Fluorescent lit TVs are on their way out.

Also as for the resolution, only if the i/p to the TVs are very good, then only you can take advantage of the 4K TVs...

Amamake

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Well it doesn't state on the specs that the UHD TV is a LED back lit LCD TV. It just states that it is a LED UHD TV.

i/p is the different type of resolutions right? I know there is a 1080p and a 1080i. Wanted to be very clear here.

JayBass

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
If UHD 4K = 2160i/p (3,840 x 2,160 resolution) then it is only logical that it is capable of displaying an image quality that is double the points per inch density of a 1080 display at the same physical dimension (Both screens are 55"). Irrespective of the display mediums delivery technology (OLED, LCD, CRT, PLASMA [PDP] , Projection [DLP] or Laser).

UHD 4K as a LED back-lit LCD product by Samsung is provided with double the refresh rate of 120Hz over the conventional LCD TV's which is 60Hz. This gives the UHD 4k display a even footing with Plasma when it comes to full motion video, removing the common 60Hz motion stutter that you often find when watching sports like football for example. I cant comment on the latency as I do not know the values, but I am sure it has a quicker response time because that's what I would expect for the money one has to fork out to get it... It can't run at 120Hz at the full 2160p resolution specially on the larger screen models but at 1080p it will run and maintain the 120Hz refresh rate easily.

LED back-lit phrase can be misleading if you don't understand it. A fact of LED is superior light emittance over all the other display screen technologies. Because LED does not deliver its source via projection like most of the other mainstream technologies which makes its response time almost instant and is capable of displaying the full colour spectrum (Even colours the human eye cannot see) sets LED specifically OLED as the most advanced digital display medium at the moment. (Not including current experimental display technologies like virtual retinal display for example). LED advantages are improved brightness and view angle, response times of 0.1ms over the LCD average of between 2 and 16ms and refresh rates up to a 1000Hz or more. Large contrast spectrums and deep accurate blacks as LED just switches a node off so there is no light providing a proper black where as LCD and the other projective display technologies work by filtering out light so they always have a light emittance even when displaying full black.

So why not switch all display manufacture over to OLED you might be thinking? Well believe it or not OLED is not a set standard yet and there are a few production flaws that need to be overcome before it can replace LCD totally. In production of OLED the inert chemical components that make up an OLED node has yet to be cost effectively optimized. The part of the material that creates the blue color degrades faster than those that create the green, yellow and red, due to this the display life span of the OLED node is not only reduced but degrades unevenly so when the display starts to go the colour of the display will fail first before the display its self fails. They have discovered materials that almost balance it out and increase the overall life, but the cost of those materials are too high for mass production. Another big problem is unit production, failure ratio vs overall successful unit manufacture and process step costs being higher. Its a complicated science that involves polymer and in some cases nano-technology. As I understand it, if even 1 dust particle has to land on a layer in production the whole unit is a failure.

I hope the above explanation gives you insight.

Your questions answered:
1)The higher the resolution the clearer the picture.
Depends on your pictures source resolution, color depth and clarity. The UHD 4K has a quad core processor and some seriously optimised code routines that can take a poor quality image/video source and improve its quality.

2)1080p LED monitors pale in comparison to 1080p LCD monitors quality in picture.
Nonsense, other than the few OLED screens out there, all the other LED TV's/Monitors are LCD's. Albeit they are LED/LCD hybrids. Standard LCD displays and Plasma are being phased out and have already been discontinued by most of the big brand manufacturers. Be weary of the chain store clearance sales and their so called in house warranties.

3) LCD monitors can leak if mishandled or not assembled correctly.
Every digital type of display out there is a sensitive peace of equipment. And they all will leak or break if mishandled. If you want the superior quality and are willing to pay the ridiculous amount they have tagged it with, then fork out the small amount extra and get an accredited fitment company to install it for you. If you by mistake or intentionally open a new displays housing you instantly lose your warranty. Dont do it!

Conclusion: Like all new and impressive releases they are over priced and have yet to prove their worth in the market place.
Price vs feature gain is way out of balance in regards to what is already available. Sure in my worthless opinion I believe UHD in its current price range has a place in the market. Film production, architecture, automotive design, print houses, etc where the screen would be used for most of its features as a high end display and not as a television.

If you happen to be wealthy and money is not an issue, could you please buy me one? :)

L8R