Which is the fastest OS currently available? Win7, 8.1 or 10?

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I have an old laptop and am currently using Win7 but sometimes It gets a bit too slow. Is there any chance either Win8.1 or Win10 will be any faster?

My Rig:

Toshiba Laptop
3Gb of Ram (Shared Video)
Intel 2.2Ghz 900 Celeron

Solution
If that's a SATA computer, you should look into getting a SSD hard drive for it. You can then carry that drive on to your next computer. Makes a MASSIVE improvement to an older computer - I put one in an old Core 2 era Pentium laptop and it became tons more usable.

If you don't mind slow bootup and program opening and it's just slow when loading web pages, etc, then yeah, it's a problem I'm running into too with my older laptops...Internet browsers and web pages are getting a bit slow on chips from 5+ years ago. If that's the case, Linux would be the best way to get some more life out of that PC. It's much more efficient than any version of Windows.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Its your Celeron processor. A Linux would be faster. A stripped down Linux distro would be quite a bit faster.

If you are going to stay with Windows its going to be about the same.

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014

Which version of Linux is easier to use and install in your opinion?

Jan 28, 2014
Windows 7 is best in my opinion. It all depends on what you're doing and how much you're doing at a time. If you want my honest...stick with 7. I have 8 on an older all in one computer, but it slowed down significantly after upgrading. If you're concerned about speed then maybe you should update your CPU and add more ram if that's possible. Delete programs you don't use anymore and make sure you clean your cookies on your web browser. That will make a difference

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
If you are going to try Linux, download Linux Mint, download the Cinnamon version. You can create a bootable USB drive with the ISO and unetbootin. This will allow you to test it and see if its faster without actually installing it or doing anything to your current install. It is generally faster once installed.

If that's still not fast enough for you, you can always try Linux Mint LXDE.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Also note Mint is built off Ubuntu (excluding Mint Debian, but then Ubuntu was built off Debian, but that's off topic) so things that work in Ubuntu will work fine in Mint.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
If that's a SATA computer, you should look into getting a SSD hard drive for it. You can then carry that drive on to your next computer. Makes a MASSIVE improvement to an older computer - I put one in an old Core 2 era Pentium laptop and it became tons more usable.

If you don't mind slow bootup and program opening and it's just slow when loading web pages, etc, then yeah, it's a problem I'm running into too with my older laptops...Internet browsers and web pages are getting a bit slow on chips from 5+ years ago. If that's the case, Linux would be the best way to get some more life out of that PC. It's much more efficient than any version of Windows.

Solution