Which Laptop should I get for university?

GamesKid123

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
So the laptop I plan to get will be mainly for university work, maybe minimal video editing on an older vegas pro and light gaming. I will more than likely using it for netflix and listening to music. I have narrowed it down to 2 laptops:

HP Pavilion 15-p011na 15.6 Inch 8GB 1TB Laptop.

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
AMD A8 A8-5545M quad core processor.
2GHz processor speed.
8GB RAM.
1000GB SATA hard drive.
Microsoft Windows 8.1.
2x USB 3.0 & 1x USB 2.0

Graphics:
Intel UMA8510G graphics card.
Dedicated graphics card.

The second is, I have a 4gb ram that I plan to upgrade it with so it will be 8gb, when I'm done:

HP 15-r211na 15.6 Inch HD Intel i3 1.7 GHz 4GB 1TB

CPU, Memory and Operating System:
Intel Core i3 Intel Core i3-4005U dual core processor.
1.7GHz processor speed.
4GB RAM.
1000GB SATA hard drive.
Microsoft Windows 8.1.
1x USB 3.0 & 2x USB 2.0

Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 4400.
Shared graphics card.

Both laptops have HD screens (not full HD) at 1366 x 768
They have same other ports (e.g. ethernet etc...), but the HP Pavilion has Beats Audio sound system whereas the other one has a normal 2 channel sound system.

Just need help on making a choice, I plan to only play Minecraft and CS GO if possible. I think the intel cpu is better but are the additional features and better aesthetic appearance of the pavilion worth the upgrade? I'm not sure which graphics card is better, so help with that would be great. I know this isn't a high spec laptop, far from it, but it's mainly for working, casual editing and very minimal gaming. Thanks, help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Then I would get the first one. the i3 is a slightly better processor, but the graphics are going to be stupidly weak on it. the A8 should have pretty decent graphics, and its CPU is not much worse.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
I am confused by the intel Graphics on an A8, but the A8 should have better graphics. also it is a quadcore which will help. as for beats audio, really that means little, but overall I feel the first one might be a better idea, but what are the prices for them?

GamesKid123

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

They are both the same price

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
Then I would get the first one. the i3 is a slightly better processor, but the graphics are going to be stupidly weak on it. the A8 should have pretty decent graphics, and its CPU is not much worse.

Solution