Which laptop to choose?

Nisvet

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
So I am buying a new laptop for college, where I would like to play some video games like Smite, and some other free to play online games, but I would also like for a laptop to handle 3d modeling and maybe some photoshop work, but I am currently stuck on which laptop I would like to get.

I have the ASUS ROG GL551 Series with these specs:
CPU: I7-4710HQ
RAM: 16Gb
HDD: 1TB
GPU: GTX 860m 2gb

While the other laptop is a workstation laptop:
Intel i7- 4600m
8gb ram
256gb ssd
nvidia quadro K1100M

Both laptops are a good 6 pounds and 15 inches, both of them have windows 8.1
I don't know which to choose from these 2, I like them both and both of them have great reviews. Can the Quadro handle decent gaming like some online games, Smite, TF2, Gmod.
Can the GTX 860m 2gb handle 3d modeling with large triangles and large 3d modeling files, like CAD and Zbrush?

Solution
You need to figure out which items you want priority over, the gaming or CAD work.

Either system will work well, and I would suggest you get 16 gig of RAM in the sytem with the Quadro card. Quadro system will run CAD better, 860M system should play games better.

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Quadro GPUs are awesome Pro GPUs, but not great at gaming. The drivers for Quadro GPUs are simply not optimized for games but for Pro applications. CAD, Video rendering, 3d modeling and stuff like may look and work better than with a GeForce GPU, but they won't game that well.

Up to you.

You need to figure out which items you want priority over, the gaming or CAD work.

Either system will work well, and I would suggest you get 16 gig of RAM in the sytem with the Quadro card. Quadro system will run CAD better, 860M system should play games better.

Solution

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

Don't know.

Check if the software you want use supports the GTX 860m. Some Pro softwares have a list of tested GPUs.