Which laptop would you choose?

icsta

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I am buying another laptop this weekend. I am limited to Best Buy(Due to having a ton of rewards and gift cards). I have knocked it down to 2 choices:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/6338098.p?id=1219660523280&skuId=6338098

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-apache-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-aluminum-black/3571075.p?id=1219588129524&skuId=3571075

Which would you guys choose and why?
Thanks!

Edit:
Sorry I forgot to put that I will be using it mostly for gaming(CS GO, BF4, and the wife's Sims3) and for programming purposes.

hdmark

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
if you can get away with getting a desktop... look into that option because for that price... you can get a nice desktop build including monitor and everything. I bought a "gaming " laptop and sold it within a year because unless you buy the HIGH end laptops, you wont be able to raise the settings past medium anyway without the thing overheating

if not and you choose to go with the laptop option... id probably go with the asus because it looks like it would have better cooling which you'll need if you plan to game

icsta

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

I wish I could get away with a desktop. I just sold mine not to long ago due to not being able to use it very often, always on the go n' such.

icsta

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

Would you say the build quality is overall better on the Asus ROG laptops than the MSI Apache series? I don't plan on dropping it all the time or anything, but I do have a 6 month old at home. I forsee pulled cables and being bumped into a few times in it's future.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I would say that after working with computers for over 15 years Asus does have a better build quality. In laptop repair it was one of the rarest I would see with major issues.

I have been using Asus motherboards for 12 years and they seem to last me forever, even after I am done with them they are still going and in good condition.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Asus had their bad days and faulty motherboards ... you are just lucky you did not use one , and their support is the worst. they sell and forget.

I bought a faulty Asus tablet once , the touch screen was not accurate ... I sent it for replacement/repair , and they claimed the device fell to the ground and said they wont replace it nor repair it , which never happened if it fell , it fell from their hands not mine !!!

Also years ago they had motherboards with faulty chipsets ... the sandy bridge time ...

but anyways they are better then MSI as you said.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

The chipset issue was not Asus it was an issue that Intel had and was for every motherboard using the P67 chipset. There is no way to blame Asus or any motherboard vendor for that.

And beyond personal use I have built multiple systems and while working in computer repair I built hundreds of systems all with Asus boards and had a very low return rate. I never said they were perfect, just better than MSI and probably one of the best.

As for the tablet, that sucks but I can tell you that most support sucks and are a PITA. Even when working in customer service I had to follow some of those rules which caused me to cringe but they are what they are.