Marshy

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi i have just purchased a Nikon D5000 and am wondering what the best memory card would be for me in terms of all round good performance and writing speeds, i am looking at either the 8gb or 16gb in either the SD or SDHC any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

If you are going to be shooting fast moving action, I would suggest SanDisk Extreme series cards or at least the Ultra II series, also from SanDisk. Ultra II series is older though and may be hard to find. The camera's built in writing speed will be the limit of how fast the images are transferred to the card and from what I have read, the D5000 has very good transfer speed. Here is a link to dpreview.com's review of the D5000.

If, however, you are mainly shooting landscapes, macros or portraits then I would suggest "regular" SD cards.

I have an older D-SLR and have been using SanDisk Ultra II CF cards and haven't had a problem with any of them.

kimba1366

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
memory cards 2 gig amd smaller are normal SD cards, SD cards 4 Gig and larger are HCSD cards. I would get SanDisk - Ultra II 8GB Secure Digital High Capacity Memory Card on sale at best buy this week for 29.99

lucian85

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
capacity doesnt maty as much as SPEED. which affects how many shots you can take in continuous mode before the camera have to stop and spend time just writing to the card.
FASTEST SPEED POSSIBLE!

dont bother shooting in full resolution unless youre making something for an a3 print, or larger. reduce the image size to medium, double the number of photos you can store, and added bonus, each takes up less space, so continuous shoot mode works for EVEN longer.