First:
CPU= Intel Core i5-4200H
GPU= Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M 2GB
RAM= 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Second:
CPU= Intel Core i7-4710MQ
GPU= Nvidia GeForce GT 840M 2GB
RAM= 8GB DDR3

Both laptops have a 1TB HDD SATA 5400rpm, and both are 15,6" LED 1366x768.

The problem is that the first has a great GPU while the second has a great CPU. Based on your experience, which laptop you believe will perform better at tasks ranging from gaming to surfing the Internet. Also do you believe that there is any bottleneck between the above two combinations? Maybe the first has a too powerful GPU for the CPU to handle, where as the second has a too good CPU and the GPU won't be able to keep up with it? i do not know (bear in mind that this is the first laptop i am bying), you tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The first one for gaming and internet browsing would be much better, if it wasn't for the 4GB RAM. If you can add another 4GB to the first one, it will be best.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
The first one for gaming and internet browsing would be much better, if it wasn't for the 4GB RAM. If you can add another 4GB to the first one, it will be best.

Solution

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Laptops completely suck at gaming. They cannot dissipate the heat that is generated by playing games on them. They are designed to work for very brief periods of time, and then to sit idle for a long time, which gives them a long period of time to get rid of the heat. Games just keep producing heat, and never give a laptop the long cooldown periods. End result, your CPU and GPU will start throttling, and your experience in the game will suffer horribly.

If you want a gaming machine, build yourself a nice little PC. They have fans that keep things cool, and you can game all day long and not throttle if you get a good CPU Cooler.

generalmolotof

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
MarkW gaming won't be the main usage of the laptop, i already have a dedicated gaming pc, what i wanna know is just which combination is better for general purpose (gaming being a part of it).