Which one is better ?!?!?!?!?

dank95

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
I am going to order a laptop, I have a budget off £630. i want a gaming laptop that is good for gaming and programming as im a student!!
i have come to these 2 laptops, but not sure which is better
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=P0G80EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
This one I get £70 off because im a student its an i5 6thgen quad core, 8gm ram, 1T hhd and has a gtx 950m(4gb)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Notebook-i7-4720HQ-Graphics-Windows-Upgrade/dp/B00Y0LX2MI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451328065&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+laptops

however this one (Intel Core i7-4720HQ, 12Gb RAM, 1.5Tb HDD+128Gb SSD with a gtx 950m(doesnt say how much memory) also its £612

The primary difference is the CPU. The 6th gen i5 is simply a quad core CPU. The i7-4720HQ is a quad core CPU with Hyper Threading (HT). Games generally do not benefit much from HT with the exception of dual core Intel CPUs and that is only if the game can take advantage of more than 2 cores (2 threads).

For example, performance between a desktop Core i5 and Core i7 (with HT) is negligible with only about 1 or 2 FPS difference assuming all other components are the same. However, when comparing a dual core Pentium G640 to a dual core i3 (with HT), the G640 would always be running at 100% and there is about a 33% difference in performance assuming all other components are the same.

To the best of my knowledge, the GTX 950m is configured with either 2GB or 4GB of VRAM. From a gaming perspective, there is no difference because the GTX 950m is too weak to take advantage of more than 2GB. Generally speaking, games use 2GB of VRAM (or more) when they are played at 1080p resolution and when using very high graphic settings. The GTX 950m is took weak to play most games using those settings and still have okay performance. Therefore, the amount of VRAM is not important.

The GTX 950m is probably best used to play most games at 1600x900 resolution and medium graphic settings. At which point less than 2GB of VRAM is going to be used. Realistically speaking, I would say 4GB of VRAM is not really necessary unless you get a laptop with a GTX 970m. That is the point where you can consistently get good performance in most games running 1080p and at least very high graphic settings.

Checking the Amazon link the Asus laptop has 2GB of VRAM. You need to scroll down to the technical specs.

If I had to choose one for myself, I would probably get the Asus because once in a while I encode video and that is something that can benefit from Hyper Threading. Plus it also has more storage capacity and the fact that it comes with a 128GB SSD. In terms of playing games, both should perform similarly.

dank95

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015

So in gaming perspectives they are just as good as each other? also the asus is a used laptop not brand new. In general asus is better?!?

I didn't realize the Asus is used. In that case I would recommend the HP since it will have a warranty if this is your first laptop.

Technically speaking, the Asus is better since the Core i7 has hyper threading, however, I do not know if the programs you will be using can take advantage of HT. It also has two drive bays; one 2.5" bay for a hard drive or SSD and a m.2 bay that is being used by a 128GB SSD.