Which one should I buy?

mojo77uk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
I have no idea which is a better processor for multi tasking and long hours of intensive use (3D CAD modelling/rendering):

3.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB Pentium 4
OR
Intel Duo Centrino 1.83GHz 667Mhz FSB
OR
AMD Turion 64 ML-40 Processor 2.2GHz 1600MHz FSB

Here are 2 laptops I'm considering......which one is better :?:

Rock Extreme Ti

Intel Pentium 4HT 650 3.4GHz EM64T

4GB PC4300 533Mhz DDR-2 SDRAM

160GB hard disk (2 x 80GB RAID-0)

256MB Nvidia Quadro FX Go 1400 PCI-ex Graphics Card

OR

Dell M90

Intel Duo Centrino 1.83GHz Processor FSB 667 MHz

1GB of DDR2 667MHz Memory (2x512MB)

512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX-2500M Graphics (with DVI & VGA output and TV-OUT)

80GB Hard Disk, 5400rpm

OR

Dell 9400

Intel Duo Centrino 2.0GHz Processor FSB 667 MHz

2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2

256MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory™ graphics card

120GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive

17"

Or can you recommend any others? I use it mostly for 3D CAD modelling and rendering.

Cheers! :)

XOTICPC

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
These models sound like the Sager NP9890 or Sager NP5760, i would try lookikng into the Sagers. They will surely be better priced!

mojo77uk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Hi

I'm from the UK so we don't have any Sager Laptops available here.

The only laptops available to us here in the UK that are easily distributed are HP, Dell, Asus, Rock, Mesh, IBM, Sony, Acer, Advent, Packard Bell.

The first 5 models produce the higher spec notebooks.

Can anyone answer my question about the Proccessors? About which is the most powerful and best for multi tasking:

3.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB Pentium 4 OR Intel Duo Centrino 1.83GHz 667Mhz FSB OR AMD Turion 64 ML-40 Processor 2.2GHz 1600MHz FSB???????

mojo77uk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Hi

Regarding the ROCK laptop:
I'm not buying a new OR latest Rock laptop. I found someone to sell the one I listed above, for £900 ($1800), used. I know, for sure, that it gets very hot and very noisy. The 160GB HDD on it IS 7200rpm.

Regarding the Dell M90 laptop:
I'm guessing that this is alot quieter and alot cooler than the Rock because of the core duo, and because it only has a 80GB HDD 5400rpm.
I found the Dell M90, with the specifications listed in the opening post, for £800 ($1600) NEW.

It seems each have good points and bad.....decisions decisions :roll:

Somebody told me there isn't that much difference between a 5400rpm and a 7200rpm :?

I can't pay more than £800 ($1600), and I need a powerful laptop, which is why I'm resorting to buying a used one (with warranty).

miro_refero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
mojo77uk, 5400rpm and 7200rpm has been debated around here lots. It seems like 7200rpm is a very inexpensive way to boost a systems performance. windows constantly references and loads data from the hardisk and if you have large 3d files that you are moving around and editing then i think it is a wise investment to make.

I have a laptop with a 7200rpm drive and i cant tell the difference in it and other laptops using 5400rpm as far as noise and heat goes.

If you can get the dell for cheaper than the rock computer i would definetly get the dell. I have read reviews about the dellm90 being a much better build than your average dell.

XOTICPC

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Sager will actually offer a better price then any US Based Clevo Distributor because they have large purchasing power.

The Dell M90 video card (Quadro FX2500M) can be installed in the Sager NP9890 and NP5760 along with the NEW 7950 GTX. :)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Miro, I think the P4 3.4Ghz chip would be faster for single use apps, and I am guessing that is what he is after with a Quadro card which is good essentially only for rendering, it is definately NOT a gaming card. Remember also that he is talking about vs. Core Duo 1.8 Ghz, not a Core 2 Duo.

The thing about the desktop chip is that it has the 800 Mhz fsb, this would really shine with faster RAM as it says there is 533 Mhz, but with 4 gigs of RAM in it, that is really going to help.

The RAID0 is going to also boost this puppy into the top slot as far as I can see by what he posted.

Do I think it is worth using a desktop chip in a notebook? No.

I assumed that he was buying this used due to the specs.
This weekend I got "explained" out with other posts so I kept it super simple.

Could he get a system for around this price that was better? Probably, it wouldn't have this kind of firepower, but it would be close and be more of like what you were saying less heat, noise and as you can immaging, there is probably a reason someone else is getting rid of it.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I was actually kidding about the Sager thing.
I don't want to go down that road to save a few bucks.
To me, at the level of service I provide, it definately isn't worth it.

XOTICPC

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Its not very likely a dead pixel shows up, but if you want the guarantee from the start it does cost $200.

The price difference is a quite a bit more significant and you also gain more capability with a Sager. With the Sager you can get the FX2500M and the 7950GTX and also get allot faster order turnaround. KN's base with a DVDRW & WUXGA is over $450 more than the Sager V Package with the same spec. In real world use, the ram is not going to make that much of a difference. As far as warranty, as many have said before, it is better to go through a Sager reseller which will add better warranty service compared to going with Sager direct. Many resellers have 3 Year Warranties for only $99.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
ROFL, I am not sure what capability you would gain going somewhere else.
Killer Notebooks of course offers 7800&7900 GTX as well as the FX2500M and upcoming 7950 card, but I am not going to put the 7950 on my site until they are actually released. Since Sager does NOT have this card, Justin is of course talking about a pre-order, and portraying that Sager has them and I don't, it is pretty misleading.
gaming_banner4.jpg
You can see that right Sager's site, and XoticPC gets this part FROM Sager, and if you are that concerned about saving money... you might as well get a system DIRECTLY from Sager instead of going through another middle man: SagerNotebooks

The FX2500M, is a custom order, I don't stock it and the reason is really simple, for the average person it DOES NOT perform to the level of the 7900, if you do rendering, 3D modeling, contact me and we can build a custom system for you custom tailored to you (that's a major difference, not, "Oh, here's your web page and cart, there you go, there's your 3 check box options you have to 'customize' your system."):
3dmark-1.gif
doom3-1.gif

If more capability means, "We portray a $250 upgraded card as something "better" you need that gets 50 fps less for what the average user uses the system for..." that's kind of misleading. But I understand the systems and what is and isn't performance/dollar smart for what you want to do. I question whether some of these guys are actually out in the shop doing it when I hear stuff like that.

I guess the difference is, when I say I have something, I actually have it. It isn't like these horror stories where cusomters order systems and a month later get an email stating that this and that guy in the supply chain couldn't get a part and you know, "It's never the system builders fault..." Well, if the system builder advertises a part they can' get, it in fact, IS their fault.

I am also questioning the actual benefit the 7950 brings to the table for $100 increase in price. There is nothing new there, I am not going to mislead my customers and portray this card as the next coming to make a few bucks. THIS IS AN OVERCLOCKED 7900! More than likely you can get the equivalent performance yourself with coolbits and other O.C. programs!

As far as fast turn around, since I have everything in stock, I don't know how arguably anyone else has faster turn around. You could ask Miro who ordered an Executioner Thursday and got it IN CANADA on Monday.

But of course anyone can make up whatever they want if they are going to just attack you on a forum. It's a M.O. that has really no place on the forums, and we have been told that, and I am honoring my word to the moderators of this forum. Why anyone would do that after being warned is beyond me.
In real world use, the ram is not going to make that much of a difference.
I have heard this a lot from other system builders, that the little tweaks I do to my systems don't make a "Big" difference. A little increase from several components and specialty settings delivers a synergistic effect that OVERALL makes the big difference everyone says doesn't exist... That is until you test them side by side.
pcmark-2.gif

But other than saying how K|N isn't as good, you DID get the sagely advice of:
These models sound like the Sager NP9890 or Sager NP5760, i would try lookikng into the Sagers. They will surely be better priced!
AND
Sager will actually offer a better price then any US Based Clevo Distributor because they have large purchasing power.

The Dell M90 video card (Quadro FX2500M) can be installed in the Sager NP9890 and NP5760 along with the NEW 7950 GTX.
Nothing about the 3 systems that the person put forward in his question, but hey, "Here's how you can buy something like what you asked about that can benefit me."

XOTICPC

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Mark, this is not an attack on you, it is laying out the facts on why most choose the Sager brand and their respected benefits. (Just like you stating your benefits) Sager and its resellers fully disclose the 7950GTX is not in stock but it will be shipping in next 2.5 weeks. Sager and its resellers have a strong demand for the card, which lead to the pre-order status when the 7950 was released 10/14/06 from nVidia. The same that Dell and Alienware do with newly released video cards. The 7950 is an OC'd 7900, but that does make it the FASTEST mobile video card on the market today. Sager/Sager resellers pride themselves on providing the latest technology as soon as its available.

I am not stating the FX2500M is better for gaming, just that Sager has it available (along with many other options) and don’t require a special order for the customer that need it. As you said you are comparing your system with a 7900GTX512 and a FX2500M, along with a faster CPU in your favor for the increase in bench’s. Mark are you saying if you have a system with OCZ vs. a Major brand ram side by side you will see the difference? All though there is an increase in bench’s, in real world use it will not be noticed. This is not an insult toward KN, just the fact of what customers should know about the Real World “gain” of OCZ ram.

We are not strongly promoting our specific systems as you have chosen to do. It is against board policy. There are many Sager resellers (PN, DL, PCT & others) out there and customers may even go to Sager direct, where the customer can get all of these options through. Sager resellers are better alternative for support/pricing/customization options available. I see all of this from a customers stand point and the options/price ($450 + savings) difference is why Sager moves thousands of systems more a month than others with the same Clevo machine. I was speaking of fast turnaround for not only a single order but multiple orders or volume orders. Sager has ample stock and can ship multiple hundreds of machines out per week. :)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
We are not strongly promoting our specific systems as you have chosen to do.
Justin, I am not "promoting' anything to this person, again YOU ARE MISREPRESENTING THE FACTS.
Go back and read the posts.
Clevo actually MAKES Sager notebooks, Sager is a distributor, so I doubt you are going to ADD a middle man, and reduce your price at all.
3.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB Pentium.
Oh, I better call them tomorrow and start selling Sagers instead then.
Miro, I think the P4 3.4Ghz chip would be faster for single use apps, and I am guessing that is what he is after with a Quadro card which is good essentially only for rendering, it is definately NOT a gaming card. Remember also that he is talking about vs. Core Duo 1.8 Ghz, not a Core 2 Duo.

The thing about the desktop chip is that it has the 800 Mhz fsb, this would really shine with faster RAM as it says there is 533 Mhz, but with 4 gigs of RAM in it, that is really going to help.

The RAID0 is going to also boost this puppy into the top slot as far as I can see by what he posted.

Do I think it is worth using a desktop chip in a notebook? No.

I assumed that he was buying this used due to the specs.
This weekend I got "explained" out with other posts so I kept it super simple.

Could he get a system for around this price that was better? Probably, it wouldn't have this kind of firepower, but it would be close and be more of like what you were saying less heat, noise and as you can immaging, there is probably a reason someone else is getting rid of it.
I was actually kidding about the Sager thing.
I don't want to go down that road to save a few bucks.
To me, at the level of service I provide, it definately isn't worth it.
Then you posted a bunch of stuff about Killer Notebooks.
Where it came from, I don't know.
AT NO TIME DID I EVER SAY
:arrow: BUY A KILLER NOTEBOOK
:arrow: LOOK AT KILLER NOTEBOOKS
OR EVEN
:arrow: MENTION KILLER NTOEBOOKS!

At that point, when you "subjectively compared" me to someone else with: "you also gain more capability with a Sager." and "and also get allot faster order turnaround." So get a system to upper Canada in 2 shipping days and prove it. and "In real world use, the ram is not going to make that much of a difference."&"Mark are you saying if you have a system with OCZ vs. a Major brand ram side by side you will see the difference?" Obviously I do, obviously the industry does because as ANYONE who overclocks knows the RAM makes a HUGE difference, I wouldn't think I would have to tell you that. Then I also get to hear, "Sager resellers are better alternative for support/pricing/customization options available." Wow, Sager offers the level of customization I do? That's news to everyone else in the industry that is trying to emulate my model for customization.

I simply corrected the things YOU said about Killer Notebooks.
But, "Mark, this is not an attack on you." Then why was I brought into it at all? I never brought it up, but I'm promoting? I just answered the guys question about which machine he posted of three would be better and why. Then the next thing I know I have to be defending my product. Why the confrontation brah, why you gotta be a hater?
Sager moves thousands of systems more a month than others....
So if I understand this right, the moral of the story is, "If you want a system builder moving 1000's of machines a month, take a number, sit down, and we'll get to you, when your number is called, but every number is special... like a snowflake."