Solved! Which prime lens to purchase?

Sep 23, 2018
Hi,
I recently purchased a Canon 77D with a Canon 70-200mm f4. I am looking to buy a prime lens but i'm unsure of which one to purchase.
My options are the Canon 50mm f1.4 or the Tamron 35mm f1.8 and i dont know which to get.

I would be using the lens mainly for photographs of dogs, portraits or just close ups of the dogs.

So i have been researching but i cant seem to find a definite answer. I have the crop sensor camera so im not sure which would be best in terms or sharpness and bokeh.

Please any help regarding the topic will be appreciated.

Solution
I also have a 77D, great camera! I have a Canon 50mm f1.8 STM and would actually recommend it over the 50mm f1.4. It is a lot cheaper, just as sharp, and has much better auto-focus. I am not familiar with the Tamron 35mm f1.8, but I know that if you want a 35mm, you can get the older Sigma 35mm f1.4 for cheap now that the new version is out. It also is a solid lens, but the auto-focus in still shooting, especially in low light, can be quite slow. I can't recommend either the 50mm or the 35mm over the other because they are very different focal lengths, and it depends on what you want. I would definitely choose the 50mm for portraits; I find 35mm a little bit wide for that, but again, it is personal preference.
I hope that helps you out...

sir_k

Great
Sep 17, 2018
I also have a 77D, great camera! I have a Canon 50mm f1.8 STM and would actually recommend it over the 50mm f1.4. It is a lot cheaper, just as sharp, and has much better auto-focus. I am not familiar with the Tamron 35mm f1.8, but I know that if you want a 35mm, you can get the older Sigma 35mm f1.4 for cheap now that the new version is out. It also is a solid lens, but the auto-focus in still shooting, especially in low light, can be quite slow. I can't recommend either the 50mm or the 35mm over the other because they are very different focal lengths, and it depends on what you want. I would definitely choose the 50mm for portraits; I find 35mm a little bit wide for that, but again, it is personal preference.
I hope that helps you out!
Here is a link to a good comparison between the Canon 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, in case you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhJK3-4Kgk

Solution