Which smartphone has the best call quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi

I'm looking to purchase a new phone, but I've found that most reviews center on the processor or gaming with a very limited amount focusing on the call quality. I typically use my phone for Google Maps, email, and calls.

For those that have experience, which Android or Windows phone has the best call quality? Is Google Maps better or worse on either platform?

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I think both platforms are good for your purposes. I use a Windows Phone with Nokia Maps and Drive. They work great! Haven't really used android so cannot compare the two, but I've heard google maps is also good.

Not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between call quality on the two platforms.

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have a Samsung Infuse "4G" and the call quality has sucked from day 1 - I've had it for 2 years now. I tried the Nokia Lumia 900 and the call quality was excellent but I really disliked the fact that I couldn't get google maps with all my favorite places. I would have kept the Nokia but the maps really killed it for me and I returned the phone.

So I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking between HTC One X+ or LG Optimus G. The latter is only $60 with a 2 year contract.

If anyone has an opinion on which Android phone has the best call quality...

noblerinthemind

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Great question, I'm in the same boat. Looking for my next smartphone. Reviews consistently say S4 call quality isn't as good as iPhone or XTC one. I use maps on my iPad and have found apple's app pretty awful and even the google maps app not so good. I just use google maps through the browser. Hope more people respond.

yo2458

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I'm currently using a iphone 4s and the call quality is horrible but the maps and apps are great. Personally, I don't use many apps on my iphone so I'm also looking to switch to something with better call quality. I've had blackberries in the past and never had an issue with call quality and since I don't use apps I may go back in that direction. I've never had an android or nokia phone to compare but blackberries do have good call quality and keyboards...if nothing else.

alicepattinson

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Oh sorry to hear that. Hmmm, you can also try android phones but if you really like to go back to BB go for it :)

Roger K

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
The HTC One with the boom sound has the best sound I have heard so far. I'm in the market for a better call quality cell as well, and been surfing options for about 2 weeks. A friend showed me his HTC One and the sound is amazing. FYI

Amartya

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Ok here goes my two cents I have tried lumia 920 but scuttled back to android due to many reasons and one is call drops on bluetooth.However I have used samsungs and HTC too but I am very very happy with call quality on my note 2. Having said this I have tried out the One and htc has got some awesome sound clarity on it.Dont know bout iPhones dont care to..Not after the maps debacle...

Amartya

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Not for me...My lumia even after two replacements kept dropping calls on bluetooth with a consistency that amazed me as much as it irritated me

am12345

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Motorola had really good call quality before they were taken over by Google. Now it's terrible. My Galaxy Nexus is awful as well. Wish I had an answer - I've been searching for a phone with good voice quality for over a year.

bigt5

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Call quality is a combination of your carriers signal strength at your location and the phone's receiver sensitivity as well as the speaker and microphone. I believe most modern smarthones can reproduce voice quality just fine. (There are exceptions but these are well documented bugs with specific models.)
Long ago before smart phones, receiver sensitivity was speced. Now it is impossible to find so you are destined to go by opinions and your own trial and error.
My dining room is a very marginal reception area for at&t. Based on my testing in this room, my experience of my last 3 phones has been:
BlackBerry was great.
Motorola Atrix 2 was almost as good.
IPhone 4and 4s would get no reception

My current phone is a Samsung note 3 and it gets good reception in the dining room. I only had it for a week or I would give it a higher rating.

Hope this helps
TJ

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I ended up going with the iphone 5 back in March and I don't regret it at all. It fits in one hand, the mics and speaker are amazing, and I got it for $100 back when AT&T had a trade-in deal.

Prior to that, I had tested the Nokia Lumia 900 and it also had excellent call quality but I returned it because there was no google support for maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.