Which "version" Galaxy S2 for Project Fi?

KingBolete

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I want to get a 9.7" S2 for use on my FI account. All LTE versions seem to be tied to a carrier. Can I get one of these sold as "unactivated" and simply stick in the FI sim card? (see http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-9-7-32gb-wi-fi-4g-lte-at-t-black/4467500.p?id=1219750636603&skuId=4467500)

Does it matter which carrier it is "associated" with?

Solution
It's got nothing to do with "talking to T-Mobile directly and seeing if they will allow it." There's a short list of tested compatible devices, and the S2 isn't on it, HOWEVER, they state that generally a device will work if 2 conditions are met: 1) the device has to be compatible with T-Mobile's network. 2) the device has to be UNLOCKED. Number 2 is where you'll have a problem with the S2. You can't just get an unactivated S2 from tmob and drop in the Fi SIM - the S2 would have to be unlocked.
It wouldn't make a difference even if you could. If you go to the Project Fi website, they specifically say what "Phones" work with them.

From the Project Fi site.... https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-1

Why is Project Fi only available on the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6?

These devices are the first smartphones that support our network of networks. They work with the Project Fi SIM card, which supports multiple cellular networks, and have a state-of-the-art cellular radio tuned to work across network types.

So, it seems they do not allow doing what you are asking. If you want to see if there is a way around it, you would really have to talk to them directly.

KingBolete

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Project Fi only works with a hanful of phones but also has a data-only plan which works with tablets that could be used on t-mobile. My question is can I get an t-mobile unactivated S2 and drop in the Project Fi SIM and have it work or does the t-mobile already have its hooks into the tablet?

mikedmeyer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
It's got nothing to do with "talking to T-Mobile directly and seeing if they will allow it." There's a short list of tested compatible devices, and the S2 isn't on it, HOWEVER, they state that generally a device will work if 2 conditions are met: 1) the device has to be compatible with T-Mobile's network. 2) the device has to be UNLOCKED. Number 2 is where you'll have a problem with the S2. You can't just get an unactivated S2 from tmob and drop in the Fi SIM - the S2 would have to be unlocked.

Solution

KingBolete

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

So unactivated idoesn't imply unlocked? That's what I feared. thanks.