Which Virtual PC is Easy to Use? Dont know much about them....

pathfinder2

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Hello folks, I am trying to learn and discover the possibility's of having and using a virtual PC, I'm just not sure where to start or which one to use....I am running windows 7. Is there one that would suggested or recommended over another? I was looking at VMware Workstation?

Thank you for any and all info you can share!
Ed

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
VMWare workstation is easy to use.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have (32bit, 64bit, Pro, Home)? And what virtual OS you plan to run?

With Pro and Ultimate, you already have virtual XP.

In any case it is recommended to have 64bit so you can have more than 4GB of RAM. Virtual PC runs better when you allocate more RAM.

pathfinder2

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Hi there, sorry for the delayed response, yes i have windows 7 ultimate 64bit with 8 gigs of ram and a 5770 graphics card....I really dont know much about virtual PC's however i would like to install one and install a version of linux or XP just to mess around and educate myself about the whole idea of using a virtual PC...

so Which one would you suggest? Thanks for responding, i do appreciate it!
Ed

Ijack

Distinguished
VirtualBox and VMWare Player are both free and both fairly easy to use. Both are (IMO) streets ahead of Virtual PC, and I find VirtualBox the easier and more versatile. Try it and if you have problems give VMWare Player a go (not Workstation - that's a fairly expensive product). Either will run Linux or any Windows just fine.

I do have some networking issues with VMWare on Windows 7 64-bit which don't happen on VirtualBox, which is one reason why I prefer the latter. On the other hand, I've only managed to get a VM Hackintosh to work on VMWare, so I use both products.