Solved! Which would you choose to use in your laptop: A 1 terabyte SATA SSD or a 500 gigabyte M.2 SSD?

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have a question I would like to ask.

Which of the following would you choose to use in your laptop if you had one of each:

1) A 1 terabyte SATA SSD

OR

2) A 500 gigabyte M.2 SSD

Why would you choose this one over the other?

Thank you.

Solution

This depends entirely on your space needs.

My wife gets by with a single 250GB SSD.
For me, 2TB+ of SSD space is just barely enough.

False choice. There are other options.
Why not both? Or multiple other configurations.
And I would never build a PC without an SSD for at least the OS drive.

USAFRet

Illustrious

This depends entirely on your space needs.

My wife gets by with a single 250GB SSD.
For me, 2TB+ of SSD space is just barely enough.

False choice. There are other options.
Why not both? Or multiple other configurations.
And I would never build a PC without an SSD for at least the OS drive.

Solution

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The 1TB because it's difficult to add storage to a laptop later and because in practice the speed difference is not that noticeable for most people.

If I had to choose just one that is. Personally I'd be tempted to get both if it was my only PC.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Given those options and only those options...

The 1 TB SATA SSD.

Either 2.5" or m.2 format.

Why? If this is in a laptop, and it is the only drive, you are not using this for heavy duty large file moving around.
In such a case, the speed difference between the SATA drive and and NVMe drive is unnoticeable.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
All I see is a choice between a Sata drive and m.2 drive. Last I knew, Sata and m.2 were the same thing, different mount. NVMe uses an m.2 mount, but is different from Sata. So which is it? Is the 500Gb an NVMe or is it Sata, because if it's also Sata, I'd go with the 1Tb Sata, that being the same drive but twice as big.

Now that I thought about it a little more, honestly I'd still go with the 1Tb, regardless of whether the 500Gb is NVMe or not. Laptops are slower than a 3-legged dog at doing anything anyways, so the benefits of NVMe vs Sata will be pretty much moot to begin with. Not that there's all that many laptops that are NVMe capable anyways.