Whine in home audio

kevin cam

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello,I have cheap & old theatre system I use in my
garage the main unit has 10" sub built-in & 5 small speakers with multiple device input options.
Plugged in to 110 & no speakers hooked up and no audio inputs plugged into it there is a whine heard either through woofer or something internal. I have a very long background in automotive electronics and onboard diagnostic systems, I can fix or identify
almost any problem in 12 V systems, but know nothing about the internal workings of audio equipment & what causes
them to produce unwanted noises, can someone help, it gets worse the longer it's plugged into the wall outlet doesn't
matter what outlet or where

Unless the unit doesn't like to be on with no source connected (unlikely) I would guess that the sub amp is oscillating. Connect the other speakers and if you can hear the same thing through them them then maybe there is a power supply problem. You could take a shot at repairing it but it doesn't sound like an expensive unit and give the age it might make more sense to replace it.

kevin cam

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for your reply, I figured it was gonna be a throw it away thing to get rid of the noise,
but thought I would ask someone if there was an easy cheap fix that I didn't know about.
Thanks again