White dots on mitsubishi tv screen

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hey19_

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

I also have a 73" manufactured in June 2009 and had this same experience with customer service last week. She got some basic info from me, and then clearly began to read off a script telling me that "as a show of good faith" they would repair the set even though it was out of warranty. Cost me $200 and the service rep took less than an hour to fix it.

MaryAnn_2

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Called the number so many people posted but didn't get the same response. They said since I couldn't find the receipt, Mitsubishi would not help. Glad to know I should be able to find the part and hopefully replace on my own!

MaryAnn_2

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

MaryAnn_2

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
I just called and got the same response Julie. It doesn't make much sense to me why they would treat people differently, but apparently they do! I'm going to try to buy the part and replace myself.

Tim_47

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I called Mitsubishi service today. They are replacing the part for a flat $200. Work to be done by a local service company. This is for my WD-60737 TV, built in 2009. Pretty painless.

Flyingw98

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I have exactly the same issue with my 65" Mitsubishi. I've contacted the customer support, and was told that unless I provide a receipt of purchase , that they will not provide any assistance, parts, etc. I going to contact Frys Electronics, where it was purchased 5 years ago, and pray that they can help. Otherwise..... Thus will be the last Mitsubishi product that I ever purchase.

nagasama

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Well i just found the waiver they had me sign in my documents. I was wondering about it and so i looked back and found this thread again.
Glad my solution from october 25 of 2014 (page 2 of this thread) worked for so many of you. Sorry some of you had to pay 200 dollars or had no luck at all. That sucks.
As far as some of the models not being offered any sort of replacement, the deal was not for all models (to the best of my understanding), and they were limited in the time frame they would do the free replacement or the 200 dollar replacement.
I do believe they are beginning to whittle down the models they are willing to repair.
And they are likely getting keen to the instructions I posted in 10/2014. I seriously had no problem whatsoever with it. I remained calm and polite, and they did too.
My WD65835 still working flawlessly, BTW. Best rear projection set EVER and still a better picture (IMO) than any non-4k flatscreen LCD/LED.
Good luck to you guys.
P.S. you can get lamps cheap (like 2 for 65 bucks) off amazon.c**...I replaced one over a year ago and still havent had to replace it with the second.
-Nagasama

nagasama

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

your TV should still be covered at the least by the $200+ dollar deal.

Mike_224

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I have a 73" from I think 2012. It is now July 2016, and I am getting the white dot issue. I just called Mitsubishi 800.332.2119# , and they are still covering/subsidizing the repair (less the $200 service fee.) No haggling, no arguing, no issues. They diagnosed the issue and even though I never had a warranty - the didn't argue one bit. They are sending the order to the local repair man today and said I can expect the TV to be repaired and fully operational within the next week or so. $200 for repairing a 73'' TV, that has gotten EXTENSIVE use over the last 4 years is VERY reasonable.

Will update more if there are any issues, but as far as I am concerned - this was a breeze. Bonus - didn't have to take the TV apart myself!

louiscarr

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I just called, as we're getting the white dots beginning to appear along with black dots. The representative told me that I have to send an email with a photo of the serial/model #'s and they would get back to me in 1-2 business days. My situation doesn't seem as smooth as yours... Any recommendations to move this along?

Thanks!

Devlynn

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Today is, Wednesday, September 21, 2016 and I just wanted to thank everyone for this forum. Like everyone else, those white/black dots were beginning to multiply like crazy. I came across this forum in Google and I'm so glad I did! Turns out calling Mitsubishi was the best thing. Like the others, I was going to purchase a brand new TV because mine is 9 years old, but instead because this was a defect in the chip (due to the manufacturing year (2009)), Mitsubishi paid for the part and all I needed to pay was for the labor - so yes, $200 + tax (which was the negotiated rate according to Mitsubishi). The service was fast and the customer service reps for Mitsubishi were very courteous as well as the repairman that fixed my TV.

So I just wanted to add, if not for this forum, I probably would have bought a new TV. Thank you very much to all!!

NelcoVP

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Is there a difference between what everyone is calling dots versus tiny rectangles that appear to be dots from a distance.

I have a WD65833 with hundreds of white and black "spots" on the screen. The white ones are much more noticeable and look like a sky dotted with stars.

However, upon careful close up inspection these white dots appear to be tiny fuzzy rectangles that are positioned up and down while the black spots are crisper rectangles that sit diagonally either left to right or right to left.

Is this the same problem everyone is describing? Because once I used the word "rectangles" to Mitsubishi customer care they shut down and told me my problem was different even though they refused to tell me what it was called. I wanted to be able to describe this problem without sounding like an idiot.

Thanks
Michael